New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New guy in New York

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 AM
alphadog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in New York

I just signed on because I’m thinking about buying a new truck and have been looking at the Dodge Ram. I have owned all of the big 3 including a 99’ Dodge Cummins and a Ford F-350 Powerstroke which I just totaled. I’m currently driving a 2008 H3 Hummer that I like but it’s entirely too small for me. I might add that I can save a ton of money on a GM truck because I can get my bro-in-laws employee discount plus a very good cash incentive BUT I like the Ram much better then the Chevy or GMC. He just bought a Silverado pickup and saved 9k off the invoice. Call me crazy but I still like the Ram better! In my area Dodge is offering a $3000 cash back incentive & $2.99 gas on the Ram 1500 and no cash back plus $2.99 gas on the Ram 2500 except for the Cummins diesel they are offering $4500 cash back plus $2.99 diesel fuel.

The problem is I know gas trucks are terrible for fuel mileage. I love my diesel trucks and I know guys who are getting 20 mpg with their Dodge Cummins right out of the box. I doubt I could do that with a Hemi in either a 1500 or 2500 4x4. But do I really want another diesel pickup? How can Dodge afford to give fuel away for $2.99/gal. for 3 years? Do they know something we don’t? In 3 years diesel fuel could be $7/gal and then I’d be stuck with a truck that I couldn’t afford to drive. Right now diesel is over $5/gal.

How are you guys & gals doing for mpg with your Hemi’s and smaller V8’s? Are you around the 13mpg/city & 17mpg/highway estimate?

Sorry to be so wordy but I’m going out looking tomorrow at both the Chevy’s and Dodge. Actually trucks are very scarce around here. I was looking on line at the dealers inventory and they didn’t have much that I was interested in. I tend to like all the bells and whistles. Besides I’ll have to spend a lot to get a decent trade in allowance for my Hummer.

Thanks for any insight.

alphadog

Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Midnight Runner
Champion
Default RE: New guy in New York

Welcome to D.Forum.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Gar!!

Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Welcome to DF brother.

Dodge can afford to give you gas at $2.99 pg because they are making millions off the sales of those trucks my man.Nothing for them.In fact,it's a tax write off.

I have a 99 1500,360 and it's not really that bad on gas.I just never really get on it that hard.I like to just cruise which really helps save on gas.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:11 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the dodge forum. Red

Quick Reply: New guy in New York