New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

My first Dodge Ram... and alot more firsts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:48 AM
jroden144
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Dodge Ram... and alot more firsts...

...first turbo diesel, first Dodge truck I've ever owned, and first NEW truck I've ever owned, in fact. 2008 Ram 2500 SXT 4X4 mega cab. I purchased the Ram primarily because of the Mega Cab and the need to haul people, opted for the 6.7L turbo diesel to haul a travel trailer and eventually a fifth-wheel. I really liked the handsome styling of the Dodge over Ford and Chevy. After driving it for a few weeks, my initial thoughts are positive overall. The one complaint I have is the rough ride, but I knew that before buying it after talking to people who already own a Dodge. Where I live, diesel fuel averages about $4.50 a gallon, but I fill it up at half a tank so it doesn't sting as bad. (34 gal x 4.50/gal = $153, YIKES!) According to the information center computer, I'm averaging about 13.5 mpg in the city without hauling anything. Also, the AC doesn't get all that cold. I'm amazed by the amount of low-torque power. I see a huge difference when pulling my 29' Keystone travel trailer over the 2005Chevy Suburban that I used to pull it with (no surprises there). The only upgrade I can see myself making are some aftermarket helper springs to increase my tow capacity from 12,400 to about 15,000 to accommodatea large fifth-wheel. For anyone who's owned a mega cab with the turbo diesel engine for awhile, I'd like some general tips on simple ways to improve fuel mileage and to get the most out of the truck in the form of worthwhile upgrades. I plan on keeping it until well after it's paid for, so I'd like to get about 200,000 miles out of it.

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any tips and pointers anyone could offer.

Here's a picture:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/8...reducedao8.jpg

Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: My first Dodge Ram... and alot more firsts...

Welcome to Dodge Forum, Jeff!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the dodge forum. Red

Old 08-05-2008, 04:07 PM
MEINEKEMAN1
Captain

Welcome to DF.

Great looking truck.

Quick Reply: My first Dodge Ram... and alot more firsts...