New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
gregp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with questions

My name is Greg and I own a 2001 Dakota Sport 2wd. I am from central Massachusetts and I have some questions right off of the bat.
My '01 Dakota is due for a recall for the ignition/park interlock system and I would like to get that taken care of at the dealership where I originally purchased the truck new (Hampton Dodge). At the same time, I would like to get my upper ball joints replaced. Here is the issue: a few miles ago, my truck started squeeking and clunking badly up in the front end. I started looking for the problem by spraying WD-40 on any joints that I could see, to see if I could identify where the squeek was coming from. I had just had the lower ball joints replaced because they were found to be defective upon a recent state safety inspection. I eventually eliminated all of the moving joints that could cause the squeek and the only place left was the upper ball joints. I used a needle type grease gun fitting to pierce the boot and grease them, and the sound went away. Soon after I did this, I recieved a notice from Daimler Chrysler that the warranty on my upper ball joints had been extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles, and now I would like to have them replaced.
My question is: Will my Dodge dealer still honor the extended warranty on the upper ball joints after my meathod of identifying them as faulty? Should I tell them what I did? Should I just stay quiet and ask for the warranty replacement? Has anybody here had their upper ball joints (2wd only!) replaced under warranty? I understand that the 4wd versions were recalled for this problem, but we 2wd owners just received the extended warranty.
Thank You for taking the time to read this post! My Dak has only rated an "OK" with me in the 7 years I have owned it. The motor/tranny performs well (3.9) but I have had some issues with the fan resistor, the brakes, and the AC freezing up.
Thank You!
Gregp

Old 10-27-2008, 05:14 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Chris@AutoLeatherInc
Official Site Sponsor

Welcome to DF!! Check out the Dakota section for help with your Dakota