New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hi, another newbie here...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 PM
blacklake1967
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, another newbie here...

Hi, I'm Rob....I just bought my first Dodge product ever.

I got a great condition 2001 Caravan SE, for $1000.

Seriously, the former owner was asking $3600, and then she realized a major headlight issue, and was quoted $1200 to fix. She offered it to me for $1500, and then knowing that we are getting snow soon, called me and said take it for $1000....I came here, and solved the headlight problem for free (took me 10 mins)....I had to replace driver power window, motor and mech, other than that it was mint...2 or 3 tiny rust spots, new rad, new tires, new a/c, new windshield, undercoated, non smoker, and gave me a box with all the receipts for work done. I couldn't pass up this deal!!!

Other than that the radio only had 2 volume settings, whisper quiet and full blast, but that problem seems to have worked itself out (I shot contact cleaner in there) and it works great now.

One other tiny prob, maybe someone can help....the little plastic stub that holds the driver side SIDE DOOR open is busted, on an incline, the door doesn't stay open, it's just a tiny plastic cover that goes over a small stub...anyone have an idea how to fix.....could I possibly get that tiny little rubber stopper somewhere?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:39 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Your best bet would be a stop at the local wrecking yard.If they don't have it, they could get it pretty cheap. Small trim items like that are rarely stocked for more than 5 years after production ends. You got really good vehicle. If it has the 3.0L engine, the valveguide seals are problematic. So if it starts to smoke, especially at start up, don't panic. If it has the 2.5L 4 cylinder, just change the oil regularly and you'll be driving it forever. The tranny and 2.5L are dang near bullet-proof, with just the minimal maintenance.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
#Red
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the dodge forum. Red

Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 AM
blacklake1967
Professional

Originally Posted by mantisman51
Your best bet would be a stop at the local wrecking yard.If they don't have it, they could get it pretty cheap. Small trim items like that are rarely stocked for more than 5 years after production ends. You got really good vehicle. If it has the 3.0L engine, the valveguide seals are problematic. So if it starts to smoke, especially at start up, don't panic. If it has the 2.5L 4 cylinder, just change the oil regularly and you'll be driving it forever. The tranny and 2.5L are dang near bullet-proof, with just the minimal maintenance.
Actually it has the 3.3L in it, and has been running awesome so far, what a nice ride...my last vehicle was a '96 Taurus, I loved it and it was problem free for years up until it stopped recharging the batt....3 alternators and 2 batts later still no dice, I decided to scrap her. I may sell off as is for parts.

Any notes on the 3.3L?

Old 11-22-2008, 03:13 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum!!

Quick Reply: Hi, another newbie here...