New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

No Oil Pressure on Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:05 PM
JamesB209
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Oil Pressure on Starting

I have a 1994 Grand Caravan with 119,000 miles. It takes 2 -3 seconds for the oil pressure guage to come off of zero. The "Check Guages" light comes on until the gauage moves to the middle of the dial. Starting up the engine when warm still take a second for the pressue to come up to speed. I have been using 5W30 oil year round based on dealers advice. I have to add oil between changes, maybe a quart over the 3 months / 3000 miles and the garage floor and the spot at work show no signs of oil leaks.

Have not seen this before and wondering if oil pump is going.

Is there a leaking check valve that allow the oil to drain back into the pan and I am waiting for the pump to draw up the oil.

I plan to change the oil pump but wonder of there is more to this story. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

James

Old 06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the DF family!!!
I wouldnt worry too much about it, for the amount of mileage you have and only using a quart between changes I'd say thats not bad, I would worry if the engine starts knocking when started and the gauge doesnt move at that point shut ity off immediately.
We do have a really good Caravan section with some knowledgable members.
Heres a link to that section. Enjoy your time here!!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-caravan-23/

Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure on Starting