New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Just happy to be here

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM
thebobcatkid86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just happy to be here

Hi, Im Owen
Im 22 and still live at home. Not long ago, I bought what was the family car, a 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with the 3.9 V6 and the 5 speed, which my mom had bought new. Right now Ive got about 78K on it its pretty much still stock albeit about as heavy duty as stock gets. When we had the tires replaced in the spring of 08 we had Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's put on in the stock size of 265/70-R16. I would highly recommend them to anyone with a vehicle that will fit them.
I have a few plans for my little truck. Recently Ive discovered some major rust patches on the rear fenders at the joints with the bed wall/floor. Im debating whether to perform the surgery myself (I have some welding equip. and a modest amout of experience) or if maybe I should use this as an excuse to put a custom aluminum flatbed on it as Ive always thought that would look cool. Im planning on upgrading the brakes, Ive heard that 03+ Durango front discs make a nice heavy duty upgrade and also Id like to try to upgrade the rear drums to a similar size disc, if at all possible. Id like to upgrade the rear suspension probably with Supersprings. The exhaust headers are rusted pretty bad, Id like to do those next spring/summer, possibly the whole exhaust system if Im feeling ambitious. A CenterForce Dual Friction clutch put in when the time comes for that. Id like to someday design and build a custom front end, bumper/grille/brushguard thing a'la Ranch Hand, but that'll be down the road. First theres some light rust on the frame rails and on the underbody of the cab that I intend to nip in the bud with something like POR-15 or possibly just rust converter, prime and paint. Actually though, considering its been through 7 Cleveland winters its not bad at all. Ive thought about doing some engine mods to increase my towing performance but I really like getting 21 mpg on the highway when Im not towing/hauling. I am interested in possible mileage improving mods though, if there is such a thing.
I dont tow alot, but when I do Im usually right at the limit of what the users manual says is okay. My trade of choice is a heavy equipment operator and actually I use it to move my, albeit very small, bobcat loader. The loader weighs about 2500 lbs and my unbelieveably heavy duty 5x12 tilt deck weighs in about 1700. So Im under the book spec limit, if just barely. I definetly know its back there haha. But, I take it slow and easy, and with the 5 speed she always makes it.
So thats a little about me and my rig. Im here for ideas/advice, and a little chit chat and I'll try my best to chime in with the little I do know already. Im just happy to have found this place.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forums... plenty of ideals and people to help you with them down in the dakota section.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

woah, that's a long post. I made it to about where you mention durango rims, lol. welcome to DF bro. like schusterjo said, post up in the dakota section to get some technical help.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. She don't lie, she don't lie......
FF

Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Welcome!

Quick Reply: Just happy to be here