New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

coolant leak time chain cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
1 ton dodge 360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak time chain cover

New member here , I have a 1997 1 ton van 360 ( 5.9L LDC) w/ 85 K miles . Sprung a leak from the upper left side of the timing chain cover. I have bought a rebulit factory water pump to install and a gasket kit for the job. I have it torn down to the timing chain cover. I have a puller tool for the balance behind the crank pulley. Since I have never worked on a Dodge before I need a little advice. I was reading a thread question posted by Dodge 33 who had a similar problem, and have learned a lot by the answers and advice in that thread . Here are my questions:

1. re: replaceing timing chain in above mentioned thread . One guy said in the thread that factory timing chains are junk . Most replies stated that the chain will be shot by 150 K . So I am leaning to replace it along with the water pump even though it only has 85K on it. All thoughts for or against are welcome ? How long should a replacement chain last?

2. Tips/ advice on time chain cover replacement with or without removing the oil pan.

3. I am not an experienced wrench on much of anything except Model A Fords ,( Oops Sorry about saying the F- word on a Dodge forum), so I anticipate running into some problems and so I thought I would open up a dialog here. Any and all tips, photos, diagrams etc, for this job will be much appreciated. I bought the Haynes repair book but it isnt much help especially with the 360 engine. No way i can afford 100 dollar shop rates so I am going to learn to do it myself no matter what. Thanks in advance
Jeremy ( 1 ton dodge 360 )

Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I would ask the guys in the Van section,
FF

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 AM
1 ton dodge 360
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak

OK thanks for the welcome, ill see if I can navigate to the van section and repost this.

Quick Reply: coolant leak time chain cover