New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

First Dodge gas hog....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 AM
urbex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dodge gas hog....

Just picked up a '96 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L and 5 speed. Funny thing is about 2 months ago I sold my Chevy 3500 because I didn't want to feed that hog gas with it getting crap mileage, lol. From what I've been reading, I'm not going to be doing much better with this one.

The novelty of daily driving my '62 IH Scout has worn off, and I decided that I really needed something more suited to daily driving duties, and it would be handy to have a full size as a tow rig as I rock crawl with the Scout as well.

As for me, 29, live in north Phoenix (Arizona), try to get out to the trails as much as I can, work as a 4x4 fabricator and computer tech (I know...oddball combo ), general sarcastic smartass

I'll probably lurk here a lot, as it looks like there is a lot of info to soak up around here

Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. A throttle body spacer may help with the gas mileage,
FF

Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 AM
urbex

I've never seen a case where a spacer helps a multiport fuel injected rig. I've seen a couple times where it had minimal gains on a TBI engine, but it's a case of maybe a tenth or two....certainly nothing to write home about.

Besides, I don't see where a spacer would even fit on the 5.2...the air cleaner is already about as close as it can get to the cowl without hitting.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The TB spacer was my attempt at a joke since they are only good for scrap metal. I do not know of any truck that gets good gas mileage,
FF

Old 05-05-2010, 05:15 AM
urbex

LOL, fair enough.

In all honesty, I went into this purchase expecting single digit MPGs...I figure anything at 10 or over is just a bonus.

Quick Reply: First Dodge gas hog....