New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Old, new RAM truck guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Jay Hinker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old, new RAM truck guy

I own my second Dodge 360cid truck, a '98 RAM Sport shortbox, rear drive. My first was a '72 360cid heavy-half camper special with aux rear leafs; that truck rode hard without about 1200lbs load. the '72 had a holley 4-bbl. My current 5.9L 98 RAM Sport has modern era faults, chief among them is an all gear Rev&Fwd tapping sound(yes-just like valve tappets)but the sound is gone when out of gear whether rolling or still. I also have to use either premium fuel for this 'unleaded' engine or find 'non-oxygenated' fuel to avoid engine knock. The Dodge dealer who sold it new to me in '98 examined for my complaints several times but found no engine nor transmission faults; the shop could duplicate both symptoms but couldn't explain cause. Still, except for the need for non-oxygenated fuel, I experience no performance indicators. I'll keep my eye on Dodge Forumn for similar posts. - Jay

Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya your problem is a plenum leak, look down your throttle body for oil, all dodge motors have a bad plenum its known. gotta take the manifold off and fix the plate.

dodge used diffrent metals and causes the oil leak, which causes ping and power loss

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2902720/4

Old 05-23-2010, 04:00 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. The guys in the Ram section can help you,
FF

Old 05-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Viperx7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts