New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Ram tailgate damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 02:35 PM
doctorplanet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram tailgate damage

Hi!!!

I am doctorplanet (yes, an amateur astronomer). I am the owner of 3 Mopars. They are; a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport; a 2002 Dodge Durango; and a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. This is to introduce myself and ask the question that caused me to join this forum.

On my Ram, I noticed that there was some damage to the tailgate. It is located at the point where the latch bar enters the side of the tailgate to latch it closed. It looks for all the world as if the tailgate somehow managed to shift to one side and strike the latch bar on the side of the bed while being closed. It seems unlikely with the bushings at the side of the hinge point, but I can think of no other way to explain the damage. Anyone else know anything about this problem with other trucks?

Thanks,

Old 05-31-2005, 02:45 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ram tailgate damage

Welcome to DF. Is it possible that someone opened the tailgate and it shifted off the hinge like you were going to take the gate off?

Old 05-31-2005, 02:57 PM
doctorplanet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ram tailgate damage

Good question. I wish I knew the answer. My Dodge dealer is asking the factory regional rep. this week if this is a common problem with these trucks. Hopefully, it will be covered under the warranty if it is. Elsewise, I will have to pay for the repair. The damage has been there long enough to rust over, and bubble the paint further down the tailgate.

I bought the truck used, but didn't really pay attention to the tailgate, so it may have been damaged when I got it but not rusted. I personally have never removed the tailgate, and don't recall any problem closing it. It is new enough to me that I am usually careful when I close it up, sometimes just pressing it closed.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Quick Reply: Ram tailgate damage