New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Old member, new intro

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM
occupant
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old member, new intro

I evidently have been a member here since 1/07. Posted a bunch in early 2009. Trying to get back in the game. Never made a "new member" post so here goes...

My wife has a 2000 Dodge Durango Sport, 2-wheel drive, 318/44RE, we bought it in February 2009 with 172K and a bad engine. Put in a '99 318 from a Durango with 124K and it's been great since. Turned 204,000 miles this afternoon. It hasn't been without issues, and the water pump has been replaced once, the AC system tuned up twice, and the radiator replaced twice. We've also picked up a few things the truck was missing when we got it, like a spare tire and wheel, lug wrench, jack, jack tools, and the caps on the A/C ports.

I'm thinking of buying a 1991 Ram 150 with a V6/A998 because it's cheap and I need a good work truck. I'm really a Ford guy with trucks. I've owned 1967, 1970, and 1971 model trucks, I called them Strong Bad I, II, and III. I would buy another if I could find one the way I want it (3/4 ton, regular cab, long bed, 2-wheel drive, 70-72, manual steering and brakes, 360 V8, 4-speed T-18 or NP435, plain and simple, in white preferably) but I'm not sure I can find one in drivable enough shape for under $1000. This is a $200 Dodge and it'll likely need a transmission. I posted about a possible A500 swap in another thread in the 1st Gen section.

I also really like LH and AC sedans and am always looking for a chance to snap one up cheap from an impound auction or similar way. Right now my project car is a 1990 Cutlass Ciera I got for $225 and it needs a steering column, radiator leak fix, and two front tires, among much other cosmetic issues (seats are tore up, armrest is gone, dash is peeling, paint is gone, door panels falling apart). It drives GREAT and has low (135K) miles for the year. Want to resurrect it slowly and cheaply. I got it from a police impound and there were a couple hundred pounds of tools in the trunk, 2 handguns, and 2 car stereos. Made enough money off those to pay for the car and some extra to do some work to it. Intend to sell it for $600-$800 when I'm done so someone else can have a cheap reliable car and I can take the money and put it towards another impound beater and do it over again.

This Ciera marks my 64th vehicle titled in my name since I was 15 in 1994 and bought my first car on my way home from marching band practice. A 1975 Cutlass Supreme sedan for $100 with two cracked heads and a lot of rust. I haven't come far from there, I like the cheap broken stuff. My Gran Torino I have now cost me $355 on eBay and it's my daily driver although I haven't taken it out of our small town for several weeks. Tags are out, I keep forgetting to bring the paperwork when I go into the county seat to renew them. Paperwork is in the glovebox of the Durango as of today, so hope to remember to stop by the courthouse tomorrow or Friday.

I ramble a lot, so bear with me...I'll try to be as helpful as I can where I can and maybe the 64 cars I've owned will be of some use even if they weren't all from Ma Mopar (only 14, 15 if you count the '88 Plymouth Colt Vista).

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site,
FF

Quick Reply: Old member, new intro