New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

1978 Tradesman 440 stops running

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 PM
jlclr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 Tradesman 440 stops running

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I hope someone can help me. I have a motor home built on a 1978 Dodge Tradesman with a 440. The engine seems to start and run as long as the starter is engaged. But as soon as I disengage the starter the engine stops. I replaced the ignition module and the ballast but the problem remains.

The engine is getting fuel and there is spark. I also check to see if maybe there was a problem with the ignition switch but it seems to be ok. I don't see any disconnected wires or cracked or loose vacuum lines.

The engine hasn't been started for about a year. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 09:58 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I had a similiar problem with my 440 as it would die a few seconds after I would jump it. My problem was the ignition module and a replacement solved my problem. Is the Tradesman related to the Ram Van?
FF

Old 11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
jlclr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks FF for the response and the welcome. After posting I noticed that my motor home is actually on a Dodge Sportsman chassis. Not sure that make any difference. I don't know if it is related to the Ram Van.

I just replaced the ignition module along with the ballast but unfortunately that didn't fix it. I seem to remember having a similar problem years ago and I think I solved it by replacing the ignition module and the ballast.

It seems like an electrical problem but I don't have a wiring diagram. I did a web search but didn't find one. Do you FF or anyone else know where I could find one on the net?

Thanks again,
JLCLR

Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a site for wiring diagrams, not sure if it will help though:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=24

FF

Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
jlclr