New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Greetings From Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:40 AM
jbhodj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings From Iowa

Greetings all from the wet soaked lands of the Midwest.

I have been lurking around these forums for a week now since I purchased a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4, 5.2L, ext cab, automatic with 146K miles.

As with any used vehicle there are going to items that need replaced, repair or overhauled and although I am somewhat mechanically inclined I am having some issues determining what parts are what and what they are called and how to go about oredering the best replacements parts as needed.

My first issue that I have had thus far with the truck is that I have found that there is a boot, actually 2 of them on the front axel assemblies. Found out today that the outter boot on the drivers side is cracked in half and the grease is leaking out.

I think there is a knuckle of some sort inside the boot that is protected by the grease but I could be wrong. Any how I am trying to determine if I need to just replace the boot with new grease or the entire saft assembly and if there is actually a cv joint or something at the end of the front drivers side shaft assembly.

Will continue to search the forums and web but any advice would be helpful.

The forums have my gears turning for future updates and mods for my Dakota but my first priority is to have a good solid running truck first with those new parts that usually wear out over time, like U-Joints, Ball Joints, Shocks and the like. Truck runs great and solid tranny thus far.

Have a great day

JB

Old 06-12-2011, 08:25 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. Check out the Dakota section,
FF

Old 06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

welcome to the site

Quick Reply: Greetings From Iowa