New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New to forum Dodge Stratus owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Digger95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum Dodge Stratus owner.

Hi all,

Just purchased a 2000 Dodge Stratus SE 2.4L to use as a runner while at grad school, and thought I'd join the forum for advice and info.

It's got 108K on it and overall it seems to be in great shape but has a few issues that need attention... like the hood rusting out which I understand is very common with these cars. In fact my mechanic says he's never seen one that wasn't rusting on the front edge of the hood. The engine runs great though and the vehicle overall is very clean. No leaks, not using any oil, lots of power. Aside from the body issues and needing a new CV axle, which I knew before I bought it, I think the car will last me a few years.

The only other Dodge I've owned in my life was a 74 Colt which I believe was made by Mitsubishi. That was an awesome car, but unfortunately the body rusted out long before the engine was ready to quit. That's pretty common here in the northeast.

Seems like a nice forum.

Jim

Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. Check out the Stratus section,
FF

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Digger95
Amateur

Thanks for the welcome! Already perusing the Stratus forum for advice.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Welcome to Dodge Forum!! Enjoy the site!!

Dusty

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Digger95
Amateur

I'm hoping the car was a good deal. I paid 1820 for it with 108K and bought it from a fellow grad student who flew back to the middle east immediately after selling it to me. So far I've had to replace the right CV axle and driver side lower control arm/ball joint. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about cars so I'm hoping I didn't get ripped off.

Last edited by Digger95; 07-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 AM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Welcome to the DF family!!
I wouldn't be too quick to think you were ripped off, my 99 Sebring has the 2.4 with a 131k and runs like a champ, before I bought it the dealer had to put in 2 lower ball joints/control arms, and a wheel bearing, after I bought it I had to put in the other wheel bearing, and the front and rear motor mounts. Overall from what have seen coming into the shop the Chrysler 2.4 can go the distance with proper maintenance. The highest mileage 2.4 I've seen so far had 216,000 and still ran smooth. What you had to put in so far sounds like normal wear and tear. Your Stratus shares a similar chassis to the Sebring.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Digger95
Amateur

Thanks for the comment! The car does run very well and I'm impressed with the amount of power it has for a 4-cylinder engine. A mechanic friend of mine told me that used cars are commanding higher prices since the cash for clunkers program took a lot of them off the road, and the price I paid for what I got is respectable for my area. Next order of business is to take care of the rusting hood. Apparently I'm not alone on that issue!

Last edited by Digger95; 07-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 AM
peterski89

just wanted to throw my 2cents in.. i bought a 97 2.4 stratus. with 132k, on March 2010.. its now july 2011.. 15 months later.. i has, 153k miles.. i have done oil changes, and tires.. other then that... NOTHING!! the only issue i had was when jiffy over filled the oil.. (i use lucas with my oil changes), i just recently decided to give it full service, new sensors, exaust, piping, air intake, (improves power a LOT, sounds cool at high rpm as well.) pretty much everything that has to do with sensors, due to the fast the these sensors tell a computer to do something.. so if a sensor bad, its gonna tell the computer something bad or nothing at all and the car wont know what to do... thats the way i understand it at least,, idk,, my negibor isnt THAT smart!! lol..

Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Digger95
Amateur

That's a nice-looking Stratus you have there! One thing that already annoys me slightly about this vehicle is that apparently the headlight lenses get fogged up and have to be cleaned and/or replaced from time to time. Mine are looking pretty milky in fact so I'll be needing to do that soon. I also need to make a decision about the timing belt. At 108K it's a pretty good bet it hasn't been replaced yet.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:25 PM
peterski89

im sure mine hasent been done either.. as far as the headlights go.. i've done mine 3 times, just because i like to keep them CLEAN as in bugs and road dirt, for 2 bucks you get a very good cleaning kit from autozone and if you have a drill (i use a 5amp Roybi) you attach the sanding pads, and work at it.. works great.. here i have a video of when i did my lens..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdmXho6HoGY

there it is.

and heres a comparable image.
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1311528285

Quick Reply: New to forum Dodge Stratus owner.