New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

99 dakota engine loss of power

Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM
jorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 dakota engine loss of power

99 dakota v8 4x4 5sp has been great except the fuel pump went when it was still under warranty. it now has over 100k miles and just started acting stupid. It will loose power at any speed and pressing the gas further has no effect. At same time the rpm's are jumping around, check engine light comes on it stumbles sputters and everything else and then runs well (normal) for a little while. multiple trips to the dealler have up over $2k with replacing wires, plugs, ignition, catalytic converter, crank shaft sensor and so on. Every time I pick it up they claim that they test drove it and its ok. I take it down the road stretch out the gears a little bit over 2000 rpm and the problem comes right back any ideas?

Old 08-03-2005, 08:33 PM
MuddinDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 99 dakota engine loss of power

i unfortunitly are new to dakots, i primarily work on older pontiacs. i think it would be in your best interest to take it down to a autozone. they read your trouble codes for you for free. sounds to me like a throttle position sensor(im sure these trucks gotta have one, or something like one). But if there isnt an autozone in your area and if there is a pepboys you can buy an actron code scanner for like $100 and use it on any 1996+ vehicle you have. hope this helps some.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 dakota engine loss of power