New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New Guy w/ '81 Dodge Mirada

Old 08-08-2005, 06:12 AM
thecyborgus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy w/ '81 Dodge Mirada

Hello all,

My name's Justin and I'm pretty new to cars, but ready and eager to take the time to learn. I bought an 81 Dodge Mirada at the beginning of the summer. The thing is in beautiful condition and it says 94,000 miles (it's only 5 digits, but from the condition I think that it hasn't turned over yet). I want to turn this car into a decent powerhouse, without completely killing the mileage (one of my friends has a GTO that he's getting <5 mpg on right now....not what I want, lol). It is a 318 V8 with a 2bbl carb that's rated at 130 horsepower.

Well, I've had the car for around 3 months now and I've got a bunch of pics up at my website: http://www.fugitivethought.com/projects/mirada. The school year is starting up again so I won't be able to do any real work on the car for a while again, but I want to plan out what I'm going to do next summer so I can put together a budget for it and have it all ready when I actually have the time to put into it.

I figure I need headers, and most likely dual exhaust on it to decrease the exhaust pressure. I hear that can actually increase mileage a bit, and I know it boosts performance significantly from the standard exhaust manifold. Will any hooker headers for a mopar 318 work? JCWhitney's has some I was looking at. Also they have a dual exhaust kit. What do you all recommend as a good place to get these?

I also want to upgrade the carburetor from the 2bbl Carter to a 4 bbl Holley. I've done calculations based on engine size, and I think I'm going to need around a 600 cfm; but like I said, I'm new to this, so can anybody tell me if this would be about the right size? The Mirada came with a 4bbl option in California, and the 318 w/ a 4bbl was rated at 165 horsepower, so that's a nice boost right there. I figure that the carburetor change will lower my mileage some, but I have a fairly light foot for everyday driving, so it shouldn't be too bad. The two places I have looked at for carb's are JCWhitney and PartsAmerica. Anyone have any other good recommendations? If I'm upgrading the carburetor I'll need a new intake manifold as well; I was looking at a single plane Edelbrock from partsamerica. Any recommendations on where to get one for a good price or even which one to get?

Also on the intake side, I hear K&N air filters are recommended for performance, so I guess easier breathing is good all around. In your experiences are K&N's worth the cost?

Finally, if I get really ambitious I might take the engine apart and put in a new cam shaft. This is one thing that I have not been able to find. Does anyone have a good place to purchase aftermarket performance cam's brand new for this engine?

Thanks for any help,
Justin

Old 08-08-2005, 10:59 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Guy w/ '81 Dodge Mirada

http://www.jegs.com/index.html?ct=110

Welcome to Dodge Forum Justin. The Mirada is a fine car and a good car to modify. Above I listed just one of many site sponsors who carry Mopar and other aftermarket parts for your engine. The 318 is a good engine to cut your teeth on since it has plenty of potential. BadStratRT has a Mirada that runs in the 12's in the quater mile.

If you have any questions about modifying your car, feel free to PM or post.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

Welcome to DF, thats not a bad looking mirada you got there[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

Welcome to the site. Thats a cool looking car.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 AM
TeeWJay426
Record Breaker

Welcome to DF- that's a nice Mirada you have there! Looks like the '80 I owned back 20+ years ago- same color in and out as mine was. It was a nice car, but jinxed from the start- it lived a short and not very happy life!

Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

Enjoy the forums, visit often! I'm not a mechanic so I don't want to give you wrong advice on it. lol

-Matt-

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy w/ '81 Dodge Mirada