New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

A Boy and his Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:00 PM
BammBamm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Boy and his Dodge

Hi.

I’m the proud owner of an ’03 Hemi Ram 1500 Regular Cab Short Bed 4WD Offroad. This is my first DaimlerChrysler vehicle, and I must say that my expectations have been exceeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Prior to The Ram, I drove a ’95 5.7-liter Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed 4WD (non-Z71). ‘Still have it, only now it’s sittin’ in the back yard. It does well in the snow & mud and has the extra room to haul up to 6 folks in the cab, in a pinch. The wife & I thought about keeping it around to take crap to the dump and whatnot, but that’s why they rent roll-off dumpsters.

I like the Chevy. It’s been extremely reliable, needing only a water pump during the 7-1/2 years I’ve owned it, but she’s got 120K on ‘er, and I was ready for a change. Plus, I was looking for an extended cab GM product that had at least these three things: Vortec; passenger-side airbag; third/fourth door.

I seriously entertained the thought of owning any one of the following vehicles:

1999 Chevy Tahoe Sport
2001 GMC Sierra C3
2004 Nissan Titan
2000-2004 Chevy/GMC K1500

1. Tahoe Sport

There was a blue Z71 for sale recently, down in Houston: '99 Tahoe Sport

This would be an outstanding vehicle to take on vacation, install an insane sound system in, and make a mega trip to and from Sam’s Club amidst most anything that Mother Nature decided to dish out. And even though this particular one’s quite rare and has relatively few miles, the seller seemed to be asking too much, so it didn’t sell. Maybe the BuyItNow price of $19,995.00 had something to do with it. Had I bid on it, my top dollar was gonna be $17,251.00, but I pussed out, trying to justify my not bidding on it. “How on Earth could I make a long distance commitment to drop seventeen large on a vehicle, sight unseen?” … “Yeah. It looks good, alright. But what’s up with the funky added-on graphics on the side? Is this s’posed to make me like it more?” … “Am I gonna be able to haul a washer & dryer in this thing?” … “This interior looks almost identical to my ’95. Ho-hum.”

2. GMC Sierra C3

I appreciate the fact that this has all-wheel-drive with a six-liter Vortec, but they’re hard to come by, and the general asking price reflects it. And I’m not sure if I’d like leather or not, despite it having heated seats. There’s no 4WD Lo, even though I’ve seldom used the one I have now, but you just never know when you’ll run across the Swedish Female Olympic Synchronized Swimming Team stranded in a snowbank-engulfed Saab 9-5 SportWagon. Furthermore, you can’t cut proper kitties in the C3 on snow/ice/mud/mothers-in-laws’ neatly manicured lawns.

3. Nissan Titan

Here’s a brand new offering from Nissan that looks to be a fantastic truck: 4 valves/cylinder 5.6-liter DOHC V8; Rear cab access doors that open wide to overcome the dreaded “Shopping Cart Syndrome”; 5-speed tranny w/ available gated floor shifter; Nifty little built-in cubby behind the rear wheel to store grimy stuff; Dana axles; Side curtain air bags… the list goes on & on. And even though the name “Nissan” causes some of us to puff out our chests and proclaim ‘Buy American’ or ‘Just say NO to NISSAN’, it’s my understanding that it was designed in ColliePhoneYa, the motors are built in Tennessee and it’s assembled in Mississippi. I’m not sure how much more American you’re gonna get, folks. I am sure, though, that those of you who’ve decided to buy one are very, very satisfied in owning your Titan.

More power to ya’, but I’ve already rewarded the Department of Revenue of the State of Kansas handsomely, and the sales tax on $28K is abusive and unjust. I pay enough tax as it is! -

DON’T GET ME STAHHTED, OVAH HEAH!! [:@]

Ahem. In addition, the Titan’s front end looks… different, to say the least. I ain’t sure if I like it or not. ‘Kinda looks squirrelly.

4. Silverado/Sierra

The best thing these two had goin’ for ‘em was the reliability of my ’95, that they offered an extended cab model, and of course the Vortec-Passenger Airbag-Third/Fourth Door issue I mentioned earlier. And if a man’s got, what is it?, an extra forty-five hundred bucks?, he can opt for the Delphi Quadrasteer option and become the envy of all his crew cab long bed one-ton dually friends. I’m sure Q-steer is great and all, but I can see forgettin’ to shut it off when parked next to a curb or somethin’. As far as front ends go, the GMC looks decent enough, but the ’00 thru ’02 Chevy looks like a teenager with braces, and the ‘03+ models remind me of a slope-headed, slant-eyed Siamese cat with its ears pinned back. [X(]

Then one day, while I was surfin’ AutoWeb, I came across this tough-lookin’ ’03 Ram that was located way down yonder in a little ol’ town in Texas. Three days later, I drove down from Wichita & did the deed.

Question: Generally speaking, how long does it take for this dopey grin to wear off, guys?

Bamm

Old 03-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Vader
Champion
Default RE: A Boy and his Dodge

Welcome to DodgeForum Bamm, That was certainly a great analysis over your choices. I believe you have chosen wisely. Enjoy the site and your Hemi.

Old 03-21-2004, 11:49 AM
BammBamm

Danke, Herr Vader.

There looks to be a ton of interesting posters/posts here. I have a lot o’ readin’ to do, so as I can get myself up to speed, so to speak. And I really appreciate this “PGD code” function. It sure is handy. My old haunt doesn’t have anything like it.

If my use of varying font sizes/colors is annoying to some of you, just be patient- I’ll settle down, soon. I’m like a kid with a new toy, and I’m still fixated on the wrapping paper.

‘Lookin’ forward to swappin’ stories and tellin’ lies, with all you guys. And if, by some miracle, I might be able to help anybody out in the way of useful information, it would be an honor to do so.

Excellent site, this one. Keep up the good work.

Bamm

Old 03-21-2004, 03:25 PM
RcBandit28
Captain

Love the truck BammBamm....you'll love it to....I'm especially partial to it because my truck is identical..and I love it!

Old 03-21-2004, 03:56 PM
BammBamm

Thanks, Bandit!

I think my biggest problem, right now, is keepin’ the miles off of it. ‘Picked it up in Longview, Texas with about 16,800 miles and drove back home to Wichita. Ever since then, I keep comin’ up with excuses to head out & about.

Maybe I’m a little biased too, but my initial observation is that this truck is most excellent.

Quick Reply: A Boy and his Dodge