New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

The fng!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM
orlin1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The fng!!!

Hey everyone my Name is Orlin. I have a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab with a 5.9l engine. I do not post to many forums and this is my last resort before taking my truck t a mechanic and spending hundreds of dollars in troubleshooting. The truck will at times randomly not start. The engine will just turn over and over. The will repeat several time last sometimes 30 - 45 minutes. The it will fire like nothing happened. now this only happens randomly. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and there is spark at the plugs..any suggestions for the FNG?

Last edited by orlin1; 06-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Orlin, I've always liked those Quad Dakotas. Have you thought about posting this in the Dakota sub forum?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota-67/

Off the top of my head the first thing you need to do is scan it for codes. Most auto parts chain stores will rent these scan tools. Hook one up, read it, decode it, and that might lead you in the right direction.

Could be something as simple as a crank or cam position sensor going out.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:47 PM
orlin1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cannot read codes

I have tried to read out the codes but everytime I connect the reader it tells me that it is unable to make a connection. I changed out the 15amp fuse and still cannot connect.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orlin1
I have tried to read out the codes but everytime I connect the reader it tells me that it is unable to make a connection. I changed out the 15amp fuse and still cannot connect.

It's possible the connector is failed or broken. They get kicked and caught a lot