New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hello all... Intro & Help Request

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
tecumseh77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hello all... Intro & Help Request

Hello All!

My name is Mark (aka tecumseh, tecumseh77, etc) I currently own a 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab short bed and is pretty much factory still. 20" alum wheels, 5.7 Hemi, power windows, locks, transmission cooler, black leather interior, automatic, Atlantic blue pearl paint, 77k miles on Odometer, etc.

Why I joined?

I am planning a 4k mile trip and am trying to improve my MPG... I am getting about 10 MPG!!! ...in the city and if I am lucky I can get as much as 13 on the highway. I use to get 15-16 on the highway but not any more. I am trying to figure out some fast fixes that I could put in place before I leave. This is what I am doing:

1) Changing Oil & Filter... using a K&N Filter
2) Replacing my drop in filter with a K&N Filter ($48 for it though re-useable/washable)
3) Replacing the fuel filter.
4) I have never replace the Spark Plugs or Wires. It was my understanding that they should last to 100k miles. Thoughts?
5) I've read on this forum that some suggest replacing the factor clutch fan with an electronic fan such as "Flex-a-lite model 183". Do you really think this will help that much? ...and if so what about this particular fan and is it difficult to wire in?
6) I intend to stay with the factory 20" wheels and Michelin tires because they look sweeeet on this truck.

Other suggestions are greatly appreciated??? I need to move fast since I will be leaving Sept. 1.

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply: Hello all... Intro & Help Request