New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

96 Dakota turns over won't start

Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
jimu711
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dakota turns over won't start

I just replaced rear bumper and pass. tail light assy. and now the truck turns over but will not start. I cannot hear the fuel pump engage. I have checked all fuses. I have checked the Auto Shutdown Relay. I have spark. I checked the 3 red wires potential corrosion issue that sometimes occurs in the harness "splice"

any ideas??

When replacing the bumper I had to remove a pigtail assy.for pulling a trailer. It was welded to the frame.........potential ground?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Wes Garrett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimu711
I just replaced rear bumper and pass. tail light assy. and now the truck turns over but will not start. I cannot hear the fuel pump engage. I have checked all fuses. I have checked the Auto Shutdown Relay. I have spark. I checked the 3 red wires potential corrosion issue that sometimes occurs in the harness "splice"

any ideas??

When replacing the bumper I had to remove a pigtail assy.for pulling a trailer. It was welded to the frame.........potential ground?
my guess would be ground, but if you can remove the bed... itll make ur life a hell of a lot easier for working on this issue. once the bed is off. get a buddy to sit in the cab and turn the key to ON and take a multimeter and check the voltage/amperage at the pump.. just disconnect the harness from pump.. if you get no power at pump, check PUMP RELAY.. on every vehicle if ever towed or worked on there is either a FUEL PUMP RELAY of FUSE, 95% of time located in the PDC under the hood.. i dont belive the pigtail assy u dismantled is the cause but... take a good gauge wire (16-12 Ga) and reconnect the ground wires to the frame, a self tapping screw will suffice for this..

i wish you the best of luck, any questions PM me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Dakota turns over won't start