New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hello, and B250 repair advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
homersupervan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hello, and B250 repair advice needed

Hi!

I'm new here, so wanted to introduce myself. About two months ago, I purchased Homer, a 1986 B250 camper conversion with a 318. I love the van, and am looking forward to a winter of skiing and mountain living in my new home on wheels.

I just took the van into the shop to have a couple of things looked at:

1) The water pump was leaking coolant. They indicated it's totally failed, and will need replacement. This I was anticipating.

2) The van had a vibration when gas was applied, of varying intensity depending on speed, but nothing too dramatic (though annoying!). They indicated that the driveshaft u joints need replacing. As they indicate this will stop the vibration and prevent future damage to the powertrain, I'm ok with these u joints being replaced.

3) The shop also said that 'there is a LOT of play in the steering box' and that this should be replaced as well. I was aware the steering was loose, obviously, but it never seemed to be a problem on the couple of road trips I've taken already. It never seemed to slip, or wobble, it is just loose. The van does have power steering.

The shop quoted $1500 to do the above replacements.

A couple of questions:

1) Is this price reasonable? Could I save a lot of money by purchasing remanufactured parts myself and taking them in to a mechanic that will change them out?

2) With respect to the steering box, does this really need replacing? Are there any safety concerns with the steering box having a lot of play, or is it just loose steering? I've taken it down windy freeways, dirt logging roads, slick wet roads, etc. and the steering hasn't been an issue. Since this appears to be about 1/2 of the total repair cost, and wasn't an issue that I brought the van in for, I wonder if it's actually necessary at this point? Any advice would be great!

3) Any recommendations for true snow tires (the little snowflake and mountain symbol)? I'll be up in the canadian rockies for the winter and want good tires for icy/snowy roads. 235/70R15 all seasons are currently on it.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Thanks and have a great day!
Blair

Quick Reply: Hello, and B250 repair advice needed