New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Ram runs rough!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
wintra69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram runs rough!

Hello, I am new to Dodge Forum and thought this would be the place to get some help on my 1998 Dodge Ram. Truck idles fine and all of the sudden it starts to run very rough and starts sucking alot of air through the air filter(sounds like a vaccum cleaner). Sometimes it will pull its self out of it and others it will just stall out. There is a bad hesitation on take off when driving to. This is what I have done to the truck so far. Replaced both o2 sensors, TP sensor, IAC sensor, cap, rotor, plugs, coil and new ground to the engine from the battery and from battery to the frame. This is where it gets wierd! when I replaced the ground cable the truck ran great! no issues at all for about 2 days and then it went back to running really bad. I decided to replace the computer, thinking maybe it was going bad and it did the same thing ran good for a couple days and now is starting to run rough again. I am lost as what to do next, I can not afford to keep throwing parts at it. I did check the fuel pressure and it is at 48 psi. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks
Chuck

Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM
tmac12

you might want to check the engine temperature control sensor my 97 dodge had alot starting running rough issues this $16.00 part got it running again i was trying to figure it out for 3 weeks the sensor was sending wrong signal too computer and computer was sending wrong mixture levels to engine drove me crazy

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM
tmac12

remember its not the coolant temp sensor but the engine temp 2 different on my 97 dodge depending on model some have 1 for both

Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM
wintra69

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try.

Chuck.

Quick Reply: Ram runs rough!