New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

My First Transmission Rebuild 44re help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Srednas01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My First Transmission Rebuild 44re help please

I have taken the transmission apart and have gotten stuck on the direct clutch & forward drum & forward clutches.

I swear when i took the forward clutch and drum apart it had 4 fibers and 3 steels sandwiched between the plates, now when i try to put them in there is not enough room to get them in plus the snap ring. I have recessed the piston with a 12 ton press and sure its seated.

also the direct drum, i replaced the steels and fibers in this and it sits below the snap ring and i can put the additional fiber and steel from what i was unable to fit in the forward clutch and it sits right at the snap ring. Doing it that way makes both the forward drum and clutch accept the snap ring. Since this is my first rebuild im following the diagram and it shows forward clutch 4 fibers 3 steels and forward drum and direct drum has four fiber and four steel.

I compared the steels and fiber from old to new and with the exception of the wear and scorched fibers they look roughlt same thickness.

One last thing should i replace the rear band while i have it out? it only came with a front band in the kit. does the rear not wear out or break as often?

thanks for any and all help and advice. I enjoy working on cars but don't want to do this wrong.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Srednas01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch thickness difference

With some help from God i figured out that the kit was not the wrong kit but the front clutches and direct cluches differ by .010 in thickness. to the naked eye they look the same by when i put them on a caliper they were different. sort them out ad now the snap rings fit in both.

other questions still open rear band. and anything about the overdrive spacer and shims.

Quick Reply: My First Transmission Rebuild 44re help please