New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Plenum and Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
K2sno070
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum and Head Gaskets

So I have a 2002 5.9 gasser with ~131,000 miles on it now. Since the last oil change I have noticed that I have been losing a good bit of oil so last weekend I took off the air hat and throttle body and peeked down into the intake. Didn't find any pooling but considering the amount of residue on the throttle body and throughout the manifold I am assuming I need to change the plenum gasket and plate. So I went ahead and bought the Plenum plate kit from Hughes Engines. My questions now is, should I take the time now to change the head gaskets even though the truck hasn't shown any signs that they have gone bad?? Just replaced the water pump over the holiday and haven't lost any coolant since, oil loss I've considered to be the result of a bad plenum, no white smoke, no overheating, no drop in oil pressure, etc. The way I look at it.. if i'm gonna go that far into the top end maybe just go a little further to really make sure she's good for the long haul. I tune up the truck regularly and am uber-**** about checking the fluids. How much longer do you think these gaskets have in them? Do I suck it up and do it now?? or just wait til they blow? I understand this is really a matter of opinion, just curious to see if any of you guys out there have had similar experiences you would be willing to share.

Thanks

DM

Quick Reply: Plenum and Head Gaskets