New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Victim of odometer fraud?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 PM
dodgegonebad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Victim of odometer fraud?

New to Dodge as it was always a bad word in my family of Ford dealers. I just co-signed for my 20 year old son to purchase a 2006 Dodge diesel from a private seller. I should have suspected something was wrong when the title read 95K miles and the actual was 94K and change but thought it was an honest mistake. My son drove it back to college, 400 miles, and the oil started leaking. We're now looking at 10K to rebuild the engine. My Ford brother says it's a Dodge thing but I'm thinking it's a fraud thing. So, is it possible to roll back the odometer on a Dodge? I'm more than willing to go after the seller if it looks like intentional fraud. I refuse to clean up the vehicle and try to sell it to some other sucker as too many people have suggested. I'm coming to you Dodge people for your insight and experience. I've got a kid who's loved Dodges since he was old enough to know the difference and can't get am getting biased info from my Ford family.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Odometer tampering is hard to prove without documentation. First run a carfax. If dealer service was ever provided, accidents, or recalls were taken care of the mileage will be listed. Then you can guesstimate if the mileage may have been rolled back. If the seller provided service records, they will have the mileage too. If you know where the truck was serviced you can go back and ask what the mileage was on last service. Get the dates too. Other than that, not sure if it can be checked by computer, but if you can't prove it you can't do anything. Now if you do prove it, then it comes down to your states laws. Most make the seller buy it back and they get a fine.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

It's next to near impossible to roll back odometers. Carfax should be able to help out, but sometimes even those are not accurate as they rely on the inputting of correct data to begin with. An example is my wifes journey, the last time we had it inspected, the technician entered the mileage as 88,000 miles even though the car only had 66000 miles. That will show up on a carfax now as it is a metter of public record.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Peanutfactory
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
It's next to near impossible to roll back odometers. Carfax should be able to help out, but sometimes even those are not accurate as they rely on the inputting of correct data to begin with. An example is my wifes journey, the last time we had it inspected, the technician entered the mileage as 88,000 miles even though the car only had 66000 miles. That will show up on a carfax now as it is a metter of public record.
carfax is useless as **** on a boar hog. i have seen where the people at carfax put 50000 miles (when it is actually 5k) and then the next time they report something it says 6k where it now state a milage fraud. dont use them at all. also another reason why i say they are useless is the fact that i also bought and since have sold a 2006 chrysler 300 that was hit on everyside but from sunday and the carfax said it was clean i also was in an accident and the carfax then showed by accident but not the 1st accident. basically what i am trying to say is have the dealer pull a vin search for the service history that comes str8 from chrysler and you will be ok

Old 04-06-2013, 09:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I did say it is dependent on correct input of data. : p

Quick Reply: Victim of odometer fraud?