New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Newbie from Boston

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:37 PM
LeLimoMan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from Boston

Greetings from Boston!

While the calendar may say spring, winter is still holding on with a death grip. We're even suppose to get a snow storm this week. Give me a break!!!

While I'm new to the Dodge Forum, I'm not new to the Automotive scene. I've had an interest in cars since I was in college and have gone through several phases including motorcycles, big American Metal and now classic British sports cars. I currently have a collection of MGs, Rovers and Triumphs.

One offshot of this is that I have found a need for something to trailer my cars to various locations throughout New England, and while the wife has put a hold on any more cars, she has relented and allowed me to purchase a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500HD 4x4 SLT with a tow package and plow (New England, remember).

While I'd like to say I got a great truck, I will be honest and say that I purchased a truck like I do most of my cars....always in need of TLC. I am not afraid to do some work if the price is right and I've found that you can get some great deals if you are willing to put in some sweat equity.

I'm pretty good with British iron, but this is my first non-foreign purchase is almost 15 years, so I'm a little out of my depth on this one...hence my joining the DF. I have a 24 year old son who is a wiz mechanic and his friend who is a Dodge fan, so I'm not totally lost. They were actually the ones who found the truck and convinced me to buy it. It will be on their heads if this turns out to be a pile of sh*t, but I have faith in them.

The truck is pretty typical of its era with all the usual Dodge issues. On the up side, it is loaded to the gills with options and probably was well taken care of when it was new. (I have all the service records). It has just 34,700 miles on it. The interior is in great shape and the body, while rusting in all the usual spots, doesn't seem to be as bad as some of the trucks from that era I've seen. (What's with Chrysler during those years?) Everything seems to work for the most part, including the plow.

The down side on this truck is that it has been sitting for the last 2-3+ years after the owner died. It sat under a tree and on the ground, so the rust has had a chance to really set in. It's been neglected a lot and when we found it, the injector rail was leaking and it needed a starter. Eventually we got it to run and actually move, so we decided to take the plunge. Once we got it home, my son ran it out of gas and we haven't been able to get it started since. Has fuel pressure, but no spark. So we're going to start down that road and see where it leads. Hopefully we can get the truck back into reliable, running service and will then address the rust. The truck won't win any beauty contests, but it's intended to be a work and towing vehicle, so no problems there.

I'm sure you all will see and hear a lot of me in the coming weeks. I'm sure I'll ask all the newbie questions and show my total ignorance on all issues Dodge related. All I ask is that you have patience with me. I'm usually a quick learner and know the benefit of forums like this one. I have spent many hours on the MG and Triumph Experience ones as both a poster and a moderator. How people are treated and the sense of community these boards engender can really make a difference in the hobby and its future.

Thanks in advance for all your patience and help and I hope to be a valuable contributor some day.

Stay Warm!
KURT

Old 03-24-2014, 06:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Nice intro and a nice find on the low mileage 2nd gen Ram. You want to ask for help in the 2nd gen Ram section if you need assistance. Those guys are a great resource. Be sure and read the stickies like the plenum thread. Thats a common issue that needs to be addressed sooner than later. Also lots of good info in the FAQ/DIY section. Welcome aboard!

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-24-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie from Boston