New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Newbie Hellcat owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM
hellacious*kitty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Hellcat owner

I am sooooo excited for my purchase of a 2016 Hellcat Challenger auto with black satin hood. I found the car with a factory sunroof and bought it today. Tored is the color with all the black looks awesome. I need some advice from the group on the break in period and 1st oil change. Exactly how should I break it in. I thought is was dyno'd for the engine break in? Anyway.... I have zero clue on what I am doing other than I am a driving fool!

Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Check out the Challenger section and your owners manual/guide:

From the User's Guide:

SRT Engine Break-In Recommendations

SRT Engine Break-In Recommendations: The following tips will be helpful in obtaining
optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT Vehicle.
Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of
the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first
500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the
new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
•Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
•Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
•Avoid aggressive braking.
•Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
•Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher
rpms when possible.
•Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
•Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

For the first 1500 mi (2414 km):
•Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the
first 1500 mi (2414 km).

It will be difficult to hold the beast back for the first 500 miles but in the end, I'm sure you will be glad you did!

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-11-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 PM
hellacious*kitty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an older man so my experience tells me that sometimes the person that has walked the path may have a bit more detailed information. Probably not on this particular subject but it never hurts to ask? Right? Plus I did not know what else to ask yet. I cant even think right now beacuse of the thrill of owing a 200 mile an hour car for under 80k total price fully loaded with all the bells and whistles??? Who the hell would want to buy a Mercedes or Porsche ever again! Are you kidding me? This thing frickin hauls ***! I am twisting tires at 80? WTF???

Old 01-12-2016, 07:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hellacious*kitty
I am an older man so my experience tells me that sometimes the person that has walked the path may have a bit more detailed information. Probably not on this particular subject but it never hurts to ask? Right? Plus I did not know what else to ask yet. I cant even think right now beacuse of the thrill of owing a 200 mile an hour car for under 80k total price fully loaded with all the bells and whistles??? Who the hell would want to buy a Mercedes or Porsche ever again! Are you kidding me? This thing frickin hauls ***! I am twisting tires at 80? WTF???
While this is true, you can't go wrong following the actual manufacturer recommendations.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:29 AM
carid
Former Vendor
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome on board! Great to have you here and congrats on your purchase! Show it to us when you have a chance. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly folks here as well as informative and insightful discussion threads. You'll find just about anything you might have questions about there. Have fun surfing around!

Quick Reply: Newbie Hellcat owner