New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Newbie Truck driver here

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM
dodgyram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Truck driver here

Hello All,

I recently bought a used 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona Edition last year after having done many days of research and looking around various forums. However, the truck started having problems 2 months into ownership and having been to the dealer a few times and spending a couple of extra thousand on power steering pump, alternator and O2 sensor replacements I feel that I want to learn how to repair this beast. I see a lot of truck modders on the forum and want to learn how to be one over the next few months/years.

I love the truck. It is a great ride until it stops being one.

Where do I start ? I have downloaded the 8000+ page Factory Service Manual. I have an OBD-II code reader.

However, what kind of tools do I need to check and fix basic things in the truck that doesn't necessitate trips to the dealer and spending $200 every time. How do I go about fixing minor things like say my truck makes noise during turning, or how do I check if the 4-wheel drive needs servicing or if something else is wrong ? What kind of equipment do I need ?

Please advise. I really appreciate the forum members expertise. So many questions have been answered in quite some detail.

Thank you.

Dodgy Ram.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgyram
Hello All,

I recently bought a used 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Daytona Edition last year after having done many days of research and looking around various forums. However, the truck started having problems 2 months into ownership and having been to the dealer a few times and spending a couple of extra thousand on power steering pump, alternator and O2 sensor replacements I feel that I want to learn how to repair this beast. I see a lot of truck modders on the forum and want to learn how to be one over the next few months/years.

I love the truck. It is a great ride until it stops being one.

Where do I start ? I have downloaded the 8000+ page Factory Service Manual. I have an OBD-II code reader.

However, what kind of tools do I need to check and fix basic things in the truck that doesn't necessitate trips to the dealer and spending $200 every time. How do I go about fixing minor things like say my truck makes noise during turning, or how do I check if the 4-wheel drive needs servicing or if something else is wrong ? What kind of equipment do I need ?

Please advise. I really appreciate the forum members expertise. So many questions have been answered in quite some detail.

Thank you.

Dodgy Ram.
Welcome to the forum. I would start with catching up on all the maintenance needs. Post your questions in the 3rd gen Ram technical section. That's where the experts reside.

Quick Reply: Newbie Truck driver here