New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Old guy, new here

Old 03-29-2018, 01:45 PM
QuickdrawSRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old guy, new here

My first Magnum was a brand spanking new '05 RT. My daily driver is now an '06 SRT – I feel lucky to have found it. I’m sure glad Dodge put BIG brakes on it.

Hopefully, this find will help someone in the Dodge community. I’m sure this problem translates to any car with computers:The SRT gave me fits for a couple years. The problem only reared its ugly head rarely, then intermittently, then dangerously. Running down the interstate, it would go into limp mode(?) but wouldn’t limp. Engine was running, but power wasn’t reaching the rear wheels. After rolling to the shoulder, turning it off and restarting, all was well until it decided. I replaced a few sensors and cleaned some connections and searched as many forums as I could find to no avail. Then it started to stumble on downshift at “foot-to-the-floor”. That started to take the fun out of having all that oomph. It was blowing some strange codes. I was afraid it was going to need a tranny. Then it wouldn’t idle sometimes. Then it wouldn’t idle after it warmed up, at all. That got dangerous at intersections when I forgot to keep a little pressure on the peddle. The codes were essentially, “FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE”, so I put a new ECM in it. I tried a new TCM too. Neither fixed it. It took the help of an ace mechanic and some luck to finally find the problem. THE ALTERNATOR HAD AN OCCASIONAL STUTTER. Not bad enough to not charge or blow a voltage code, but enough that the computers couldn't talk, for that instant. I sent the SRT to a 12-volt program and a new alternator fixed it. Something simple can be oh so frustrating.

6.1L

Dodge should have created a Panel-Wagon, eh? Hopefully I’ll be able to do this one day.

My Magnum Nomad.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Against forum rules to sell anything on the open forum. Sorry. Had to edit your post to remove the items listed for sale. Welcome to the forum. Once you get 25 posts you can list items for sale in the classifieds section. (read the rules for posting located in that section).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old guy, new here