New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New Member - From Austin With Love

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 02:43 AM
bootNewt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member - From Austin With Love

Hello there,

I'm Newt! I purchased a 5.9L Magnum 1995 Dodge B3500 Ram Wagon back on October 25th with 195,744 miles on the clock - I've been referencing this forum for the work I've been doing to get my in better shape. I like what I've seen in the community and decided to become a member so I can interact with y'all and share my big ole four-wheel machine! Here's a shot from the day I bought it, right after I got it home.

It doesn't look like much yet, I know. I drove it 50 miles to get it home and it made it just fine. It belonged to a children's gymnastics business a few towns over. The van struggled a bit at times, given it has a blown plenum (thanks to Mad_Scientist for putting that Plenum thread together!) and a very, very rattly, clogged catalytic converter, but both of those are just about prepared to be fixed by me as I type this with a plenum kit from Hughes Engines on the way and drafting a new exhaust system. This big machine has been moved around here and there, but this week, it got inspected and passed, being emissions exempt in all of Texas given its age. Definitely exploring exhaust options...

I got a new set of 4 tires on it given that all but one of them were just about ten years old and virtually bald.

Before:

After:

A world of difference.

Amusingly, it came with a binder full of parent contact information which has since been destroyed, as well as rules for the kids to follow when on the "flame van". Trust me, the decals aren't staying, but I'll have something else appropriate put on.

There's more to get into, but the short of it is that it runs and drives and has no transmission issues, has no frame rust and minimal body rust, and I copped it for just $700. Current plans are to make it into a camper and interstate cruiser so that me and good group of long-time buddies can hit the road and see the sights that the United States has to offer. We're not living out of it by any means, but will see plenty of adventures in it.

Let me know what you think! I'm so excited to be here. I look forward to learning everything I can about this van and getting everything settled.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Welcome to DF!

The following users liked this post:
bootNewt (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 12:04 PM
bootNewt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the welcome!

I realize that in the excitement of talking about Big Momma Flipper, I forgot to actually talk about myself. I'm an automotive tech that has more or less been getting my feet on the ground over the last few years. I'm ASE certified for Maintenance and Light Repair, but have been studying for Brakes and Steering and Suspension. It's my livelihood at this point but there's definitely room for growth and more income.

This is my first Mopar machine, so I'm not terrifically well-versed in the ins and outs yet. I do know that I've seen a lot of these 318s and 360s with preposterously high mileages still chugging along though. It impressed me enough to spring some money on this van and make the project happen.

Quick Reply: New Member - From Austin With Love