New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

Hey y'all I'm a newbie

Old 02-16-2006, 11:59 PM
johnekgun
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey y'all I'm a newbie

Hey Y'all, I'm new to the D F but not new to auto forums. As I have read many of the posts archived in FAQ I find my self feeling almost guilty. I have'nt had any serious problems with the many Dodges ( and a few Chryslers.. I love those old New Yorkers ) I have had. In fact all of the problems I have had with my Dodges have been my own fault. I tend to drive em til they die then sell them to my Brothers. Of course They are wise to me now. They still beg to buy my worn out cars from me though.

The reason I joined this forum was because I stumbled on it while looking for a routing diagram for the heater in my latest " new" Dodge. A 1988 D-150 short bed. Discovered ( like all classics are in Mississippi ) in some really tall grass behind a barn. The guy would'nt sell it to me at first because he did'nt want to cheat me. He claimed it had blown head gasket ( among other thngs) on top of the fact that it had been waiting for me in the Mississippi sun for about four years. Of course us old wrench heads know 318s are pretty common. I have a freind ( and a couple of brothers) with a back yard full of 318s. This being the South we just reckoned we would pray about it and God would lead us in our decision. I ain't sure if it was Jesus or the seven hundred dollars I put on his dining room table. Which ever it was he gave me the title and now its mine. He told me I could come get any time and to watch out for snakes when I was pulling it out.

The next day I stopped by with my brother Jimmy and a big ole battery. We figured we would try to drive it out first. Ya see we ain't from Mississippi. We are from Wisconsin and don't like to do too much during football season even if the Packers are for sure not going to the Super Bowl. Y'all aint gonna believe this. It turned over good. We put some spark plug wires and spark plugs in it, by passed the heater hoses ( cause someone had taken them all out for a repair to another vehicle probably) , and put some premium in it and to my surprise it fired right up. I drove it home on what had to be the squeekiest brakes I have ever heard. By the time I got home they were pretty quiet. Although a bit spongy.
A closer look revealed that the elements were kind to this old truck and it was surprisingly clean ( rust free) except for two lines of rust that run up the hood and roof and look like racing stripes kind of. It turns out that the head gasket was'nt blown. the oil sending unit was cracked and shot out oil like a.... a little hose I reckon. After we fixed that and drained TEN quarts of oil ( don't ask me), replaced the water pump and fan clutch, put in 5 quarts of synthetic oil and a new filter we drove it to Tupelo to get some BBQ. Y'all know if somethings gonna go wrong its gonna happen on the road. except for runnig a tad warm it ran good. So the truck I bought pretty much just to take stuff to the dump has become my daily driver ( new paints on the list though.. man it looks rough). I have'nt bought a manual for it yet. thats why I wanted to see a diagram of how the heater hoses are laid out. Its been so long since I messed with a 318 I had forgotten what all is on it. It seems I remember a vacuum deal of some kind but a picture would refresh my memory nicely. I'll get a book eventually I reckon. By the way the AC still blows cold, ain't that something. Well thats my hello. I'm usually not so long winded I swear. I look forward to communicating with y'all and talking Dodges. Y'all have a good day now .

Old 02-17-2006, 12:42 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Hey y'all I'm a newbie

Wow, that's a big "hello"! Welcome to Dodge Forum!!

Dusty

Old 02-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Wow, that's a big "hello"! Welcome to Dodge Forum!!

Dusty
LOL. Yes it is. Welcome to the site.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
jcbram04
Professional

Welcome to the site!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey y'all I'm a newbie