New Member Area New to DF? Stop in tell us about yourself and your ride. Please post technical questions in the tech sections.

New to the site.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Stylin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the site.

Hello everybody! I guess I'll tell you all my story since it seems the thing to do.

We'll start with some back story. I used to own a 99 Tarus SHO. I really did love this car. My brother worked at a ford dealer, and got me the hook up with this baby. It was fully loaded, with a nice 32 valve v8 that was better then the mustang moter yet it had the ride of a lexus or benz. During that time, I also bought a 03 focus ZX3 SVT. This was my toy, and it ended up with over 500 horse by the time I was done with it. I'd take her out to the city every now and then, but mostly she stayed in the garage. Anyway, the gf needed a car one day, and sure enough she ended up totaling the SHO. Around this time my grandmother passed away, and I ended up with her car - a 92 chevy lumina with almost no miles on it. So I said okay, I have my toy still, and I'll just drive the lumina back and forth between work, no biggy. Took the SHO money and bought a house. A year later, my brother totals my ZX3. Wonderful, now I only have a stinkin lumina. Not getting anywhere neer what I wanted for the ZX3, I was sorta stuck. So I drove the lumina for a while, but that didn't last long.

Now the fun stuff. Did I really just see dodge has 0% again? Woah, lets goto the dealer and check it out! I decided I didn't want a fast car anymore, I'm a bit older now and I wanted something more useable, since it would be my only car. What did I find? My perfect truck. This baby was a fully loaded ram 1500 quad cab laramie. 5.7 hemi, 4x4, heated leather seats, seven speaker system, sunroof, I'm talking just everything. I fell in love, but looking at a $41,000 sticker, I needed to be sure. Here comes the best part, I asked the dealer if I could take her home overnight to think on it, and he let me! So what did I do? I starting driving, stoping at every dealer I passed.

First up is the Chevy. I drove both an Avalanche and a Silverado. The Avalanche is sorta a neat concept, but theres just too much plastic everywhere. Drove about the same as the silverado but it had a $45,000 sticker. The silverado was around 40k. Now, I love what chevy did to the inside of this truck. It's very comphy, and it seems to have more bells and whistles then the dodge. I like that. My downside with this truck, and this seemed to be the way they all were, is that when the seats in the back folded down it didn't have as much room as the dodge. When I drove it, it drove like a truck. This was another theme for me. See, the ram drove like a dream, and I felt like I was in a really tall car. The moter didn't have as much pep as the hemi, and the body style just didn't turn heads for me like the ram did. The one thing that was cool was the salesman took me into an open field and let me play with the 4v4. He was a really cool guy, but in the end, I just wasn't as excited about it as I was the ram. Down the road I drove.

Next up, GMC. This one I can keep short. Drove like a truck, wasn't overly impressed with any single feature, and just didnt have anything that stood out in my mind as I need this truck. I didn't even let that guy talk money with me. Off I went.

Next up is the F150. Ford was having a sign and drive event, no money down, first month is payed, 299 a month for 24 months on a $40,000 F150. So I said okay, I don't really want a lease, but I'll try things out. Found a truck like the one I was driving and off we went. This saleman was sorta annoying. He kept telling me about all these features that only the f150 had, when I'd counter him saying the dodge I was driving had that. He'd go off on best in class this and that when it was all false info. I ended up ignoring him and paying attention to the drive. Again, nothing really stood out as this truck is a must buy. It had the same typical stuff the GMC and Chevy had, without the features I really liked on the dodge. All said and done, they couldn't come anywhere close to my dodge payment for that truck so I left.

At this point I turned around and went the other way. There was one more truck I wanted to check out - the Nissan Titen. Now, this truck really did impress me. It had some cool features, starting with the outside. First off, it looks a lot like a ram, likly considering how the rams front end now looks more like a titen but lets not go there. Anyway, the rear doors fully open, sorta a cool feature. They fold open like a third door, and swing all the way till they almost touch the bed of the truck. Not really sure how much i'd use it, but hey, its good thinking. Another hting I liked is that the bed is already done. It has rails in it, it has a spray in liner in it already, the tailgate locks and has assisted lowering. The step rails are already installed. Another cool feature is when you are backing up it beeps at you faster the closer you get to something. One more thing that was cool was it had a toolbox in the rear of the truck by the wheelwell. Thats pretty inovative.

On the inside, theres not too much to say. The rear seats folded up like the Ram, but not as much room. The passenger seat folded flat, but not a big deal considering you have a bed not sure why you'd need that. The rest was just okay for me. On the drive, again, it drove more like a truck then a car, and I really liked the feel of how the ram drove. A 5.6 V8 but not neerly the power of the hemi. All in all, a good truck, but not the best.

So in the end, after a lot of research, my rams in my garage. Beautiful black truck, 20 inch chrome rims, and all the chrome detail work of the laramie. I've had her for about two weeks now and almost have 1k miles on her already. Started out with 7. Since I broke her in, she just seems to have more pep. Every once in a while I go in my garage and just look at her, I'm that much in love. Couldn't be more happy, really.

I have a lot of big plans for this truck, and I look forward to showing you guys all the before and afters. And by the way, if you actually read this much of this post, congrats, I'm not so sure I would have. :P

-Bryan

Old 02-26-2006, 04:36 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: New to the site.

Glad to see you did your homework and bought that beautiful Dodge Ram. Welcome to DodgeForum and hopefully we can help you with your modding needs. We have a section specifically designed to the 3rd Gen Ram's.

Enjoy your truck, it was a very good purchase.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

Welcome to the site.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 PM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to DF. Hate to knock em, but I really hate Fords anyways. Hope to see some of those photos in the future.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:50 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Good choice on the truck! Welcome!!

Dusty

Old 02-27-2006, 12:43 AM
Stylin

Thanks guys. Heres a crappy phone cam pic. I need a new digital cam, I droped mine. I'll try to take some better ones tomorrow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30335/35349426876D489F89952D600A2AA7D3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New to the site.