2010 Pontiac El Camino????

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:07 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Pontiac El Camino????

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/15/n...-wants-you-to/

This is the famed Aussie Ute, or the current world record holder for fastest production pickup truck by the Guinness Book of World Records (Maloo SS Ute). They're now bringing this bad boy to the US, and I'm actually interested in seeing how this works out.

Interestingly enough, Pontiac is asking the general public to give this an official name. I wouldnt be surprised to see it be named the El Camino...despite not being a Chevy.

Specs:

6.2 ft long bed (42.7 cubic ft of storage space)
1,100 lbs of hauling capacity
3,500 lbs of towing capacity
361-hp 6.0L V8 from the G8 GT sedan

Not to mention it should be pretty good on gas.....considering it'll weigh less then a standard Dakota, Ranger, or Colorado....

Granted, it's not a heavy duty truck, but for people who mostly just haul the occassional heavy item or throw some wood in the back, it's not a bad option. I also dont expect these to be produced in high volumes, so they should be able to sell well I would think...

Old 03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Default RE: 2010 Pontiac El Camino????

Nice performance, but thats to be expected since its based off the G8...too bad its hideous.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it

Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 PM
scg87
Veteran

The Holden versions are coller, but I dig it....

Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 PM
rare aries
Keeper of the Ks

Its looks sharp. Surprised though they didnt do it with the Impala,the frontlooks similar to the early '00s Impala.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

It kind of reminds me of the chevy ssr.....anyways, I think this will be one of those cars that is cool as long as you dont see too many of them. If for some reason alot of people buy them (haha yeah right)...then they won't be as cool....

Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so its true..GM can slap a badge on any ugly piece of trash and GM guys will flock to it..

come on derrick, this thing is one of the ugliest cars ive seen, even for pontiac...it makes the aztek look like a nice vehicle.

there was a guy on woodward last year with a olderholden model, rhd and such, with the "normal" monaro front end, and it wasnt a bad looking car. granted, im not enough of a redneck to actually like a car with a pickup bed...but whats a better idea than taking a car with traction issues, and pulling weight off the back end strictly for the sake of a lame attempt at the "fastest truck" claim. its kind of like GM classifying the GN as a sedan so they could advertise it as the fastest production sedan...but here, they made sure that the classification fits...

Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They really should have kept the Holden front end on it...

Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

so its true..GM can slap a badge on any ugly piece of trash and GM guys will flock to it..

come on derrick, this thing is one of the ugliest cars ive seen, even for pontiac...it makes the aztek look like a nice vehicle.

there was a guy on woodward last year with a olderholden model, rhd and such, with the "normal" monaro front end, and it wasnt a bad looking car. granted, im not enough of a redneck to actually like a car with a pickup bed...but whats a better idea than taking a car with traction issues, and pulling weight off the back end strictly for the sake of a lame attempt at the "fastest truck" claim. its kind of like GM classifying the GN as a sedan so they could advertise it as the fastest production sedan...but here, they made sure that the classification fits...
I dont like the Pontiac look of it myself, I would have prefered the newer Impala or even the Malibu styled front end......but comparing it to the Aztek.....are you kidding me??? That thing was plain hideous.

As far as the fastest truck claim, you know as well as I do that they have to meet very strict guidelines by Guiness's view or it doesnt count. Is it really a truck? Nope, not at all in my opinion.

I wouldnt buy one....but if I had to choose either this or a Ranger/Colorado/possibly even a new Dakota.......I'd be hard pressed to decide which....well....Dakota or this..

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Agree. I'm leaning towards a 4X4 Ranger with a 4.0 ltr engine simply because the design is proven and I qualify for the "Z" Plan,
which is a discount for family members of Ford Employees......I'll have to see what other discounts I can get.....this would be a "work" truck, not a "show" truck.......

Dusty

Quick Reply: 2010 Pontiac El Camino????