Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Quacker
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota excessive rust

Found this on another forum

Excerpts From Complaints About Toyota Tundra Trucks

BOSTON -- Team 5 Investigates found more than two dozen complaints on file with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration detailing problems with rusted frames on 2000 and 2001 Toyota Tundras. Here are some excerpts:

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra April 10, 2009

"The frame in my truck has rotted out in less than 9 years."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 26, 2009

"2000 Toyota Tundra with rust holes through frame, over and beside rear shock brackets and spring brackets. I am at my wits end with Toyota and have tried to resolve this obvious defect at every level. This has become a safety issue for myself and other drivers. It is just a matter of time before the frame will snap in half."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 11, 2009

"I lost my brakes. I had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked! They said it was not driveable."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra November 1, 2008

"Low mileage (72K) 2000 Tundra with extensive frame rust and rot in cross members. Spare tire almost fell off due to rust in supports, which tipped me off on how bad things were getting. Poked my finger right through the cross member the spare hangs from."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra December 21, 2008

"My mechanic said it is unsafe to drive. Called Toyota. They told me to take it to a Toyota dealer for an estimate. The dealer's estimate was in excess of $5,000. The book value is $9,000, which is just what I owe. I called Toyota back. They said too bad, good luck, have a nice day. Here I am and I am not having a nice day."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra February 17, 2009

"The mechanic pointed out excessive rust to cross members of frame. When the body was lifted off to replace these cross members, a crack was found in the frame. The truck is no longer safe to drive and has a value of $0 compared to the $9,000 before the discovery. Toyota will not back their product."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra October 15, 2008

"I sent vehicle in for front brakes service again and the mechanic informed me of severe rust to the cross member on the frame all the way to the bed. He did not want me to put more money into the vehicle due to the extent of damage to the frame."

Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
elks
Rookie

I saw this and researched a bunch since I owned a 01 tundra. The Company actually found the cause last I heard. There was an issue with the metal used. It happened only on a handful of trucks. The metal it self was especially effected by MagChloride and other salt based deicers.

My 01 was a great truck, beat hard on hunting an many off road trip. When I traded it in it had no rust at all... It was simply luck of hte draw. I am not sure how toyota is handling the situation at this point.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

and all this time I thought I was on the DODGEFORUM!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know right. why do we care about a toyota lol

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every manufacturer has had rust issues over the years, no question about it. And salt KILLS frames with enough time, no matter what kind of anti-corrosion was used. Where i live we use gravel on the roads and it beats the paint right off. In the case of toyota, sure they had major rust issues back in the 80s and 90s but anyway you slice it anti-corrosion coatings wear off over time and leaves the steel open to oxidation.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

cool...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

This is the Off-Brand forum. I have owned Dodge, Ford and Chevy trucks in Ohio that had the bed practically rusted off, but never had any of them with severe frame damage. I'm talking 20-30 year old trucks. Toyota makes a lousy truck-any size. The moral of the story is, avoid the Japanese pretend trucks and stick with American iron-especially Dodge.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:57 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my ramcharger is an 84, with somewhere around 300,000 miles on it...and its just starting to get significant rusting..mostly to the edges of the fenders and quarter panels.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
elks
Rookie

I also feel rust is all about how you maintain your truck. There are some areas/brands that are more succeptible than others. I can't say enough for washing and cleaning all winter all long, and that means every nook and cranny. To many people let dirt and salt build up to trap moisture.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im a dodge and jeep person. Didnt yota for a certin year that had really bad frames didnt they offer to buy back the truck for excellent condition price on kbb that was as long as you owned it before the recall came out(correct me if im wrong). We had a 95 jeep grand cherokee sold it with 190,000 miles and it was drove 90 miles a day in pa winters. Before we sold it there was barely any rust on it there was none on the body just spots on the frame.

Quick Reply: Toyota excessive rust