Red Camero

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Red Camero

To each his own, but the Camaro is just too chopped up. There are too many things going on with the lines and nothing flows in the design. Just a bunch of pieces of different generations thrown together. The front is just screwed and needs to be blunted more. the quarters are too exaggerated and need slimmed down. The rear deck, well I'm not sure what they were going for but it is just out of proportion. They need a coherent design that brings it all together and this isn't it. Sure some people will just have to own the new Camaro but if they go to production with this and it remains largely unchanged it will be just another nail in the coffin of GM.

Just my opinion and I know some will disagree but it's obvious by the sales that Ford got it right with the Mustang and the buzz created by the Challenger is deafening. People want retro, me included. The market is full of baby boomers looking to capture something they once had or didn't have the opportunity to get. And this is driving a good sized and growing segment of the market. You just can't beat classic design to pull at peoples emotions and bank accounts and these two have it. The Camaro concept doesn't and it is coming too late and GM will have another GTO on their hands. They saw the writing on the wall when it flopped and now they are going to make the same mistake again. If I were a Camaro fan I would be supremely dissapointed. Again just my opinion.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
jcbram04
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mustang concept looks exacly like a pile of ****

Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

well said

Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: deranged

To each his own, but the Camaro is just too chopped up. There are too many things going on with the lines and nothing flows in the design. Just a bunch of pieces of different generations thrown together. The front is just screwed and needs to be blunted more. the quarters are too exaggerated and need slimmed down. The rear deck, well I'm not sure what they were going for but it is just out of proportion. They need a coherent design that brings it all together and this isn't it. Sure some people will just have to own the new Camaro but if they go to production with this and it remains largely unchanged it will be just another nail in the coffin of GM.

Just my opinion and I know some will disagree but it's obvious by the sales that Ford got it right with the Mustang and the buzz created by the Challenger is deafening. People want retro, me included. The market is full of baby boomers looking to capture something they once had or didn't have the opportunity to get. And this is driving a good sized and growing segment of the market. You just can't beat classic design to pull at peoples emotions and bank accounts and these two have it. The Camaro concept doesn't and it is coming too late and GM will have another GTO on their hands. They saw the writing on the wall when it flopped and now they are going to make the same mistake again. If I were a Camaro fan I would be supremely dissapointed. Again just my opinion.
Actually, aside from the front clip and maybe the rear clip with the crappy exhaust......most of the Camaro fans are excited about this car. Least the ones I know, and I know a ton. This is totally different from the GTO, as the GTO wasnt a "new" design, it was stolen off the Monaro...and the Monaro VXR is an awesome looking car, and it was too rounded and Grand Prixish..... This Camaro looks like a Camaro.

I'll give you that it does need some refining, but I think with a car like this, I think they came out close to what a lot of people wanted. The Challenger is a great looking car...but outside of the damn Viper, Dodge hasnt had a coupe worth a **** since the Daytona, and even that wasnt all that great.... I'm excluding the Stealth because it was really just a Mitsu car.....same with the Laser/Talon.

Zero V8 coupes in forever. That's something MOPAR people have been craving for 2 decades.... and I can tell you most people would agree.... I'm not saying that had Dodge had a V8 coupe around they still wouldnt want this, but come on......more people want this because its a Dodge and its a coupe and its a V8.....the name isnt as big a factor as you might think. Look at the Charger....people went insane because it wasnt what.....a 2dr.

The truth is, GM should have killed the freakin Monte Carlo long before the Camaro....

And for the record, I would literally have to flip a coin on the Challenger/Camaro.

Old 02-04-2006, 01:36 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcbram04

Looks better then the mustang, but not nearly as good as the challenger
It's cool and all. I like the new styling they put into it, unlike Dodge did with the Challenger... But that front end makes me sick as hell... BLAH! [:'(]

Old 02-04-2006, 04:08 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It reminds me of a Hond from the front end, the rear-end looks like a Corvette's rear-end except that it appears as though someone dropped something heavy on it. I don't like it, but then again I never like the styling of any of the Camaros. I liked the Firebirds though. I'm not sure which I think is uglier this car or the Mustang. The Mustang is more boring and stupid looking, so I guess it take the cake, or the crap.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:07 AM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

ORIGINAL: deranged

Actually, aside from the front clip and maybe the rear clip with the crappy exhaust......most of the Camaro fans are excited about this car. Least the ones I know, and I know a ton. This is totally different from the GTO, as the GTO wasnt a "new" design, it was stolen off the Monaro...and the Monaro VXR is an awesome looking car, and it was too rounded and Grand Prixish..... This Camaro looks like a Camaro.

I'll give you that it does need some refining, but I think with a car like this, I think they came out close to what a lot of people wanted. The Challenger is a great looking car...but outside of the damn Viper, Dodge hasnt had a coupe worth a **** since the Daytona, and even that wasnt all that great.... I'm excluding the Stealth because it was really just a Mitsu car.....same with the Laser/Talon.

Zero V8 coupes in forever. That's something MOPAR people have been craving for 2 decades.... and I can tell you most people would agree.... I'm not saying that had Dodge had a V8 coupe around they still wouldnt want this, but come on......more people want this because its a Dodge and its a coupe and its a V8.....the name isnt as big a factor as you might think. Look at the Charger....people went insane because it wasnt what.....a 2dr.

The truth is, GM should have killed the freakin Monte Carlo long before the Camaro....

And for the record, I would literally have to flip a coin on the Challenger/Camaro.

I agree it has the basic shape the new Camaro should have but why bring this thing to the public to see when it obviuosly needs some "refinement". I will also agree that the Camaro should have never been dropped from the lineup. What they should have done was bring it back closer to its roots instead they made it a bloated overpriced car that took it out of its core buyers reach. The Monte Carlo was kept because of the body rules for NASCAR and because of the win on Sunday sell on Monday mindset.

I've been to a couple of Camaro forums and while there are some who seem like they gotta have it, the overall feeling I got was people are lukewarm in their opinion, unlike the Dodge or Challenger forums in which people are just rabid about the Challenger. Yes I'm sure a lot of it is because of the real possibility of an everymans performance RWD 2DR V\8 MOPAR, but also alot of the reaction is from younger people who have not been waiting 20-30 years for this to come to pass.

The name becomes a factor when it is put on a vehicle that does not correlate to peoples vision of what that name stands for. I'm not talking performance because it's obvious the new GTO and Charger do perform, I'm talking asthetics. Say you had an average person on the street who had never seen either one and told them to turn around, the new GTO or Charger was right behind them. Probably 9 out of 10 peoples reaction would be, "that's not a GTO" or "that's not the Charger". Monaro or not if the GTO had styling that actually reminded people of the original it would have done better even at the lofty price they originally were asking. Same with the Charger, though it's not the flop the GTO has become, even with four doors if it had more strong influences from the original they wouldn't be able to keep up with demand. What is the point of a manufacturer trying to draw on it's history with a name that is one of the biggest parts of their history and then trying to rewrite that history buy putting that name on something that one doesn't relate to it's past? Just doesn't make sense to me. And we see it from the SSbadge on everthing Chevy builds to Daytona wings on Rams and the "NEW' Charger Superbee. The name and the product just don't match and that is why the Challenger is going to be so sought after because it keeps with the spirit with which it was originally intended plus it's just a damn fine looking automobile!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:18 PM
srtommy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

i dont recall what the mustang concept looked like..? little help?

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/21D78ED5B0B04D94A89F8E500B663CDA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/D2DFA8E4F61F4A0B8D4BD6DCA8FD4D8E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/2CC9CEA46C1B4981B147F9231F3F1A4E.jpg[/IMG]

The car didnt turn out much different then the concept. A few changes, but mostly minor.

Other than the tail lights not going all the way across on the actual Mustang, the exhaust not being integrated with the rear bumper, the side scoops being gone being replaced by a window, the front bumper being mores sectioned off instead of the concept one piece look with integrated fog lights, the mirrors not being painted, the concept 20" wheels turning into 17", the hood scoops are gone, and the rear glass is smaller. But other than those changes, but your right, the current Mustang isn't much different from the concept version.

Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

I'll give you that it does need some refining, but I think with a car like this, I think they came out close to what a lot of people wanted. The Challenger is a great looking car...but outside of the damn Viper, Dodge hasnt had a coupe worth a **** since the Daytona, and even that wasnt all that great.... I'm excluding the Stealth because it was really just a Mitsu car.....same with the Laser/Talon. (and then the rest of the bla bla bla...)

You go on quite a bit about a concept that is built off of a foreign car but yet you say that you would exclude the Stealth because its a Mitsu... well the Camaro is a Holden just like the GTO because they share the same platform, that means your gonna have to exclude it too.

And aside from what several of you have said here, the Mustang is a damn good looking repro and thats why it is selling. Also stated here earlier by another, thats exactly what the public wants and it is sparking the market for more repros like the Challanger and the Camaro concept, the Ford GT and even alot of the Chrysler's are pulling from much earlier designs. Its obvious by looking at alot of the new cars that design efforts put forth by those not taking cues from popular models of yesteryear all end up looking the same. Take the badges off of most of todays cars and it is hard to tell them apart especially with the re-branding of models between manufacturers.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: vipersforsale

You go on quite a bit about a concept that is built off of a foreign car but yet you say that you would exclude the Stealth because its a Mitsu... well the Camaro is a Holden just like the GTO because they share the same platform, that means your gonna have to exclude it too.

And aside from what several of you have said here, the Mustang is a damn good looking repro and thats why it is selling. Also stated here earlier by another, thats exactly what the public wants and it is sparking the market for more repros like the Challanger and the Camaro concept, the Ford GT and even alot of the Chrysler's are pulling from much earlier designs. Its obvious by looking at alot of the new cars that design efforts put forth by those not taking cues from popular models of yesteryear all end up looking the same. Take the badges off of most of todays cars and it is hard to tell them apart especially with the re-branding of models between manufacturers.
First of all, the only similarity between the GTO and the Camaro concept is the chassis and the engine, but that engine goes in about 6 different models so that's a moot point. Also, the Chassis has been modified to work for the Camaro...so again, its not exactly a great fit. Very similar to the Challenger in fact. That does NOT make the Camaro a Holden. So because it's using the same chassis makes it a Holden?? That's retarded.....

Also, the Stealth, Laser, and Talon are ALL Mitsubishi cars....simply with a different badge.....my Stratus R/T is almost 90% Eclipse parts......that to me does NOT constitute a Dodge product....no matter how its branded. The Camaro and GTO dont even resemble one another....and they do not use the same parts for a majority of the car either. Also, my comment was to emphasize that Dodge hasnt really brought a true Dodge coupe in forever....and since the last one they did wasnt even a V8....the Daytona....there hasnt been a V8 coupe in decades....

As for the Mustang, I totally agree. Despite it being a Ford, they got the retro design spot on and it has really shown what people want in a car. I personally love the retro look on SOME cars...as they really recapture that "mystique" that the older car had. The GTO wasnt a failure, but they did it half-a$$ed. The reality is, they couldnt go back to a boxy style setup for the car, but they should have gone to something like the Charger/Challenger. That would have had more appeal then the Monaro clone....

Quick Reply: Red Camero