Oil Change DIYs! Changing your own oil is easier than you would think, and is a simple job to save a few bucks!

1999-2004 Jeep GC (and others) 4.0 Liter Oil by 94rt10ohio

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1999-2004 Jeep GC (and others) 4.0 Liter Oil by 94rt10ohio

-The Jeep is high enough you should not have to jack it up to drain the oil.

-Slide under the Jeep and using a 9/16" wrench remove the drain plug, it is located on the back side of the oil pan. Make sure your catch pan can hold at least 6 qts of fluid.

-The oil filter is located on the passenger side of the engine and is VERY easy to remove from the top. Place a catch pan under the filter and remove the filter from the top.

-Install the new filter, make sure to put oil on the rubber seal so you can get it back off next time. Note, usually I put oil in the filter before installing, but it mounts sideways on the motor therefore I do not put any in as a decent amount would run out during installation.

-Install the oil plug into the pan, replacing the gasket on the plug if necessary.

-Now fill the engine with 6 qts of oil, about 5.5 if you do not replace the filter. The fill hole is right in the center of the valve cover. 10W-30 is recommended, however 5W-30 can be used in very cold climates.

This Jeep may be the easiest vehicle I have ever changed oil in. The location of the filter, being able to get to the drain plug without a jack. If you want to do it fast, I estimate it could be done in 10 minutes or less. Also note, these tips should also apply to older Cherokees and Wranglers with the 4.0 liter.

JeepSection

Quick Reply: 1999-2004 Jeep GC (and others) 4.0 Liter Oil by 94rt10ohio