PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

ram died- fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
joemoy29
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram died- fuel problems

ok so i have been having issues with my gauges on my ram turning on and off while driving. didnt think much about it, until today i was at a drive through and the iddle started bouncing and then dropped to 6-800, i tried to press the gas and there was nothing, and it stalled. I tried to restart, and it started and then stalled.

So i got it towed home, checked plugs, no oil, checked oil - no water, check air filter nothing there, i sprayed a little starting fluid in the tb and if fired up and stalled. so this leads me to think its not getting gas. it has over a half tank. tried to check the codes with my reader and got an error signal- so i figured the ecu was bad, got a used one and i was wrong. still have the same problem

does anyone have any advise on what the next step would be. btw this is a 1999 ram 1500 with a 5.2- auto
thanks, joe

Old 04-08-2006, 02:49 AM
HUEY420
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ram died- fuel problems

check fuel pressure

Old 05-24-2006, 10:40 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ram died- fuel problems

I have another suggeston---after you check the fuel pressure. One of the guys I work with is a trained auto mechanic. He recently helped one of the other guys in my shop with a 2nd gen Ram--360. Same basic setup as yours. I asked what he found, it really kinda surprised me. Rust flakes lodges in the screen at the top of the injectors themselves. He says its been something of a common problem with some of the earlier Dodges. He says that it was found to be coming from the fuel rails, and the Dodge answer to repair was to replace the rail, at something like $400.00. He simply pulled the rails and injectors, cleaned them out----gently, and put it back together. He said it would probably happen again, but cleaning is relatively easy. Ever since hearing that, I put Seafoam gas treatment through my tank at each oil or filter change, just to insure no water is in the gas, to start the rusting process.

May not be the answer, but it is definitely something to check before you spend the BIG BUCK.

Quick Reply: ram died- fuel problems