PCM & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

computer reset?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:37 PM
kahuna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer reset?

Hello, I'm new here.
I have a 1999 Ram 1500, 2WD, SB, 5.2L Auto trans. cat back magnaflow exhaust hard cover on the box. I am installing a K&N cold air intake, also I have a hypertech tuner on the way.
I thought I'd install the K&N then optimize the computer for 87 octane. adjust for tire size etc. This may be a really stupid question but, after or before doing the optimizing do I have to reset the PCM?

Also when I'm running down the road at 70 on cruise, the tranny won't downshift till I drop down to 45mph. It shifts up and down normally when not using cruise.

Have only owned this truck for a short while.

Thank you

Old 11-25-2006, 02:58 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: computer reset?

if you only do the intake then its a good idea to reset the pcm, that way it will learn the new incoming air and adjust for it. if you do the programmer than you will be fine. to reset pcm, remove neg battery cable for 20 minutes, then rehook back up start and stop truck 3 times, on the third time leave running for 5 minutes than take it for a ride. it will take about 300 miles to really set in, this is just a quick fix for now.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:34 PM
kahuna

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Libsdodge

Hi, I am also New here I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 2WD 5.9 Magnum

and have changed to a High Performance Manifold and Vortex Turbo Charger.

But now there is a definite flatspot when accelerating, should I also reset the PCM in the manner

described here ?

With thanks for info on this topic,

Lib

Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Mike954
Rookie

Libsdodge,

Do you mean the Vortex Supercharger?

At what rpm do you hit hte flat spot? At what boost?

If you are on boost and hit the flat spot you are probably running way too lean and you need to address the issue immediately before you damage your engine! Take it to a shop that has a dyno that can read from a Air/Fuel ratio sensor. You want the Stoichiometric(SP) to read between 14 and 15 all the way through boost for optimal power and driveability. Lower than 14 is fine but you are burning too much gas and it will eventually cause your Cat to clog. If you are over 15 you are too lean and I would not let your engine see any boost until you find a way to give it more gas under boost.

Quick Reply: computer reset?