Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Kyle Petty Retiring???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 03:58 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyle Petty Retiring???

Kyle Retiring Sometime in 2004? Hmiel to drive #45? UPDATE 2 Denied: At some point this season, for the first time in the history of NASCAR there will not be a Petty in the roster of drivers. Shane Hmiel is in line to replace Kyle Petty in the #45 Petty Enterprises Dodge. Petty would remain CEO of Petty Enterprises. "It's really not going to affect anyone but us," said seven-time champion Richard Petty, Kyle's father. "But it will be a family thing because we won't have anyone out there. We might have to adopt someone." Hmiel could be reinstated to compete in NASCAR as early as this week and be ready to race as early as Daytona. After failing a drug test last fall following the Busch race at Richmond, Hmiel, 23, was suspended from racing in NASCAR events. Gary Smith, NASCAR's director of event logistics, said last week that Hmiel has been involved in a rehabilitation program administered by an independent agency and is doing well.(Yahoo Sports/Sporting News)(1-26-2004)
UPDATE: being told by Petty sources that this is not true and Petty plans to run the full 2004 season, Hmiel could run a few select races in the #44. No idea what the plan is for Christian Fittipaldi in 2004.(1-26-2004)
UPDATE 2: Contrary to a unconfirmed Internet report, Kyle Petty has no plans to retire in 2004, a source close to Petty Enterprises said. The report said that some time during the 2004 season, Petty would be replaced by Shane Hmiel in the #45 Dodge. Hmiel is currently undergoing a NASCAR-mandated program to gain reinstatement to the sport after being suspended last year for an undisclosed substance violation. Hmiel attempted to qualify in a Petty [#43] car last year in the Pepsi 400 at Daytona but was too slow to make the field. The report that Hmiel would replace Petty, however, is "not true at all," a source said.
"(It) was never checked with anyone at Petty Enterprises and had the quotes taken out of context," the source said. "Richard (Petty) was asked, as he has been more than once over the past few years, of the day that would sometime come when there would not be a Petty driving at Petty Enterprises, and this was not in any way a reaction to this 'story.' But the quotes were placed to make it look as if it were." Petty has been in NASCAR since 1979, competing in 678 races, making him ninth on that all-time list. He hasn't won since 1995, however, as Petty Enterprises has struggled in recent years. Petty has taken on the role of car owner, running the two-car team out of the famed Level Cross, N.C. shops. But retirement as a driver? A "baseless" claim, a source said.(NASCAR.com Buzz)(1-26-2004)
UPDATE 3: been told there are no plans to run Hmiel in a Petty car in 2004, plans are still to run Christian Fittipaldi in some races, depending on sponosrship in the #44 Dodge.(1-27-2004)</P>

Taken from JAYSKI.com</P>

redriderbob</P>

Old 01-30-2004, 01:35 AM
Vader
Champion

I have always felt kinda bad for the Pettys. I could not imagine losing a son and then trying to move on in the same sport that took his life.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:58 AM
redriderbob
Banned

If Adam was still alive, he would prolly be my favorite driver... I was so happy when I heard he was coming to Cup. I watched his first race in ARCA w/ the #45 SPREE Chevy which he won. Always loved the Pettys.</P>

redriderbob</P>

Quick Reply: Kyle Petty Retiring???