Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Wallace hopes to talk to Newman before Daytona!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:11 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wallace hopes to talk to Newman before Daytona!

Wallace hopes to talk to Newman before Daytona
By Dave Rodman, NASCAR.COM
January 22, 2005
05:18 PM EST (22:18 GMT)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- The unrest at Penske Racing South became front-page news when teammates Ryan Newman and Rusty Wallace collided with less than five laps remaining at Martinsville Speedway when both were running in the top five.

Newman ended up third and Wallace fell back to 10th after the pair made contact in Turn 3. At Daytona, both addressed the situation, with both saying nothing close to a resolution had occurred.

"We haven't had a conversation (and) I need to have a conversation with him," Wallace said. "I think he's in a position where he's a good driver (and) he's doing really good (but) he wants things.

"I'm not going to say he's demanding about things, but there are some things he emphatically believes -- him and his crew chief (Matt Borland).

"When I put the car owner hat on, me and (Roger) Penske built this thing and above all, what I want is some respect. I'm not in the mood for dealing with no respect.

"I felt like we've done a lot for him, and I want him to realize that and I want him to race me like his teammate and owner -- not just some other driver that he doesn't like."

For his part, Newman was noncommittal.

"You can't always expect teammates to get along," Newman said the week before. "It's just something I deal with and he deals with."

Newman said, in his opinion, the fact that Wallace owns part of his car contributes to the problem.

"We're not teammates in the way Tony Stewart and Bobby Labonte are -- Tony Stewart doesn't own part of Bobby Labonte's car," Newman said.

"It's kind of a conflict of interest in two different ways (because) not only does Rusty own part of my car, but he competes against me -- and we're supposed to be teammates?

"Usually teammates in any kind of sport don't compete against each other, and that makes it super difficult. When you mix in egos and attitudes and theories behind that you can have a very big source of conflict.

"That's something we've tried to deal with and sometimes the best way to deal with it is to just ignore the whole thing."

Wallace said the situation would be dealt with before Speedweeks.

"We're really not saying anything, but I promise you before the Daytona 500 we'll sit down," Wallace said. "I'll be the one to ask for the meeting (because) I just don't feel like it's going to come from the other side of the camp.

"I'm going to do it and defuse it all and try to get at least this last year working together."

NASCAR.com

redriderbob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wallace hopes to talk to Newman before Daytona!