Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Magnum vs. Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Blkmagnum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum vs. Grand Cherokee

So I was sitting at a light in the middle lane next to a Lexus and a Grand Cherokee (hemi) minding my business. The Lexus keeps creeping up next to me so I assume he wants to run. When the light changed I took off real mellow to see if he was gonna go. To my suprise the Cherokee takes off hard. I let him get about 3 car lengths ahead, then I put my foot in the Magnums *** and WALKED him down. I was impressed by the Grand Cherokee's off the line acceleration it just can't stay with the Magnum through the mid range. Now a few q's for those who know.
1. My magnum is awd how should I launch? I've been told not to power brake with AWD so what's the best way to launch? How high should the rpm's be
2. When running should I just put the magnum in autostick mode and let it hit the rev limiter or should I shift it?
3. Also why is it that the magnum has such slow 0-60's 5.9-6.0 vs. 1/4 mile 13.9-14.1? Is this because of vehicle weight or gearing? I know 5.9 isn't slow for a 4000lb car but I see so many cars that are turning mid 5's 0-60 but the 1/4's are in the high 14-15 sec range.

Anyway,. thanks for any info. you could provide. Hopefully I'll get too the strip this summer for some real Magnum AWD numbers. Until then I'll just have to keep beating on ricers with the weedwhacker exhausts.

05 Black Magnum RT AWD
K&N Typhoon intake
coming: Flowmaster Super 40s

Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Magnum vs. Grand Cherokee

a couple questions... havent seen an AWD test...is the 5.7 AWD really turning out low 14 second QMs? i have seen the RWD do it, but ive not seen the AWD run at all...
as for powerbraking it...i power brake everything...someone told me that with my autostick RT, that power braking it slows you down...i tried not pwoer braking it, and i ran slower...however, i know that the Hemi has some odd PCM...when i drove a Hemi RT...i did notice that when i tried to powerbrake it, it was not what i expected from a big HP RWD car...almost like a low RPM rev limiter...so while i still think that power braking is the ebst way to go, some experienced hemi guys may know better...i always shift my car in autostick mode, mostly due to my hatred of the automatic tranny...while taking it out of autostick mode doesnt make my car any faster, regular trans mode may be more consistant...but i dont have any issues with that.

the jeep should pull you at first because the jeep should have more gearing...but as soon as aerodynamics becomes an issue, you will take over...

Old 04-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Blkmagnum

I'm not sure of the 1/4's for the AWD. I figure it shouldn't be too much different from the RWD RT, maybe a couple tenths slower? The weight difference is a couple hundred pounds and there is more parasitic loss but on the flipside the AWD will hook up better. Again, I'm going to have to get it to a track. As for power braking it does seem like the rev limiter prevents good launches. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Old 04-30-2005, 07:50 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

that rev limiter when still is what really turned me off to the RT...

Old 04-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Blkmagnum

Yeah I agree the rev limiter when still blows but it is still a bad *** wagon. I was looking at suv's (Xterra, Envoy) until I saw the magnum. It does everything I want and looks like an old 50's chopped and dropped wagon doing it.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:49 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i had one for a rental car with the little engine in it, and i have had the chance to drive the hemi...i really like the look..although i didnt care for how underpowered the little v6 was...and with the steelies it had alot of float due to the huge sidewalls...

Old 05-01-2005, 06:52 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be great if I get that or a Hemi Charger for my rental when I take the car in to get the bodywork done on it.

Quick Reply: Magnum vs. Grand Cherokee