Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Kurt Busch to take over No. 2 car

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kurt Busch to take over No. 2 car

NASCAR.COM article

Busch leaving Roush, joining Penske stable
NASCAR.COM
August 9, 2005
02:18 PM EDT (18:18 GMT)

CONCORD, N.C. -- Defending Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch has signed to drive for Roger Penske, starting in 2007.

Roush Racing announced Tuesday that Busch advised team officials that he has signed with another team commencing in 2007. Busch also requested a release from his contract for 2006. However, due to sponsor and team considerations, Roush Racing said no decision on that request will be made for an indefinite period.

Penske Racing South released a statement later Tuesday to say it has signed Busch to a multi-year contract.

Rusty Wallace, driver of the No. 2 Dodge, is retiring after the 2006 season and speculation had been rampant in recent months over who would replace him.

Busch currently is fifth in points, 277 behind leader Tony Stewart. Busch, who turned 27 last week, was the third-youngest champion in NASCAR history when he won the title last season.

Busch has 13 career Cup victories in 171 starts, with 41 top-five finishes and 72 top-10s.

After running a full Truck Series schedule in 2000 and finishing second in points, Busch made the full-time jump to Cup in 2001. He won his first race March 24, 2002, at Bristol.

Roush Racing, which recently announced it had signed Jamie McMurray for 2007, also has Mark Martin, Matt Kenseth, Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards in its Cup stable.

However, Kenseth was upset after the McMurray announcement -- not so much that McMurray was joining the team, but rather in the way news leaked of the signing.

"I just felt like being [at Roush] for eight years that they'd at least have talked to me. And [Greg] Biffle, too. He's been there seven years," Kenseth said. "So I figured they'd at least have talked to some of the guys who've been there about who you want for a teammate.

"I think it happened fairly fast, and on the 42 side they leaked it to the press. So I'm sure they were probably going to talk to us before they made an announcement, but to this day nobody's still talked to me about it. So it is a little frustrating."

Jimmy Fennig, crew chief for the No. 97 Ford, said earlier this year that he is looking to retire after 2006. The longtime Roush employee has enjoyed a brilliant career, including a Daytona 500 win in 1988 and the title with Busch in 2004.

"Probably a couple more years and that will be it for me," Fennig said in February.

Fennig, 51, cited the exhausting 36-race schedule -- plus testing and non-official events -- as the reason for wanting to slow down.

"I would like to be home once in awhile," Fennig said. "Being away from home all these years, you got to sit back and say, 'Time to cut back.' "

Busch has a history of feuds with rival drivers -- Jimmy Spencer punched him in the nose in 2003 -- and run-ins with NASCAR officials.

Earlier this year, after a tantrum at Darlington that included expletives directed at NASCAR officials over his in-car radio, Busch was placed on unofficial probation and given notice that the sanctioning body would not tolerate more bad behavior.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Kurt Busch to take over No. 2 car

AHH MAN! I wanted to bring up that breaking news, lol.

This is some good news, now Ryan has another good teammate.

Here is a shorter one, for those who don't want to read that much, lol.

Busch Leaves Roush for Penske

Who will pilot the No. 97 after Busch leaves?

Kurt Busch has asked to be released from Roush Racing as the defending NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series champion announced he has a contract in place to join a new team in 2007, which will be the Penske South Miller Lite Dodge.

The news sent shockwaves through the NASCAR community. Busch informed Roush officials of the deal Tuesday morning and asked to be released from his current contract, which runs through the 2006 season.

"Due to sponsor and team considerations no decision on that request will be made for an indefinite period," said a Roush statement. "Roush Racing will have no further comment at this time."

Busch currently stands fifth in this year's points race, 277 points behind leader Tony Stewart.

Penske released an announcement Tuesday afternoon saying the team has signed Busch to take over driving duties for its No. 2 Dodge.

Team owner Jack Roush signed Jamie McMurray to replace Mark Martin, who is retiring after this season, but that deal won't happen until McMurray fulfills his current contract with Chip Ganassi, which runs through 2006. Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle are the other NEXTEL Cup drivers in Roush's current stable.

Car owner Roger Penske has been searching for a replacement for Rusty Wallace, who will retire at the end of the season. Busch will join Ryan Newman and Travis Kvapil as Penske teammates.

RacingOne.com

Old 08-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

sorry man I just happend to be cruising nascar.com when the story broke.

they had 1 story up after Roush made their anouncement, they didn't know what team he signed with. (1pm)

an hour later they revamped that article when Penske released thier statement. (2pm)

all I can say is.....woot! woot!

A ford boy finaly saw the light and decided to join the winning team (dodge) on its way up.

Old 08-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

ORIGINAL: Boulee

sorry man I just happend to be cruising nascar.com when the story broke.
I was just playin' man.

It is good news.... It's kinda like Dodge traded Ford, McMurray for Busch!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 PM
turboram
Record Breaker

man that just suck's i dont want to see busch in rusty car i have to find a new team to go for

Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

Well with a statement like that, It begs the question:

Who would you put in the #2 miller light car too take rustys' spot?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:37 PM
turboram
Record Breaker

is boy but that want happen tell he is 18 but i would like to sam hornish jr in there

Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: turboram

is boy but that want happen tell he is 18 but i would like to sam hornish jr in there
translation:
?? ???, but that wont hapen until he is 18, but i would like to sam hornish jr in there

is boy? what the hell is that?

Old 08-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

I think he meant, "His boy, but that won't happen"

His son....

Old 08-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: turboram

Corrected translation:
Rustys' son, but that want happen tell he is 18. I would like to Sam Hornish Jr in there.

I thought that Waltrip was a good possibility.

Quick Reply: Kurt Busch to take over No. 2 car