Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Rusty: Busch's decision not about money

Old 08-13-2005, 02:45 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rusty: Busch's decision not about money

Rusty Wallace says he knows what Kurt Busch is going through. Credit: Autostock

Rusty: Busch's decision not about money
By Marty Smith, NASCAR.COM
August 12, 2005
07:22 AM EDT (11:22 GMT)

The stunning revelation that Kurt Busch is headed to Penske Racing as soon as possible raises a simple question with a very complex answer:

Why?

He's the defending champion at stock car racing's highest level, after all, and contending for title No. 2 this year. His team is among NASCAR's elite, and he's a threat to win every time he fires the engine. Why forego a proven method?

A champion defecting? Unheard of in NASCAR.

Seems simple. Gotta be the Benjamins, right? Must have been a blockbuster deal no 27-year-old could turn down, right?

Not necessarily. His Penske predecessor says it's not a black and white, er, green and white, issue.

"It's not the money. I can promise you it's not the money," Rusty Wallace said Wednesday evening. "I think the kid's honestly just looking for a change.

"Don't think it's money. It's just 'been there, done that.' It's 'I've been there a long time and I'm looking for something new.' That's just the way it is."

Possibly. But cash played a significant role, certainly. Reports say Busch will become one of NASCAR's highest-paid drivers. And then there are the promotional and merchandising benefits.

If Miller Brewing stays on as sponsor, which Wallace says "all indications are that they will," Busch's name, if not his face, will be present in every bar and grocery store in the country.

Presently, he's one of the least-promoted drivers among the elite contingent.

But Wallace says Busch's decision was about more than money, and he's not one to gloss things over. He spoke with Busch at length about the decision, but said he wasn't part of the selection process.

He did say, however, that in his opinion Penske got the best driver in consideration for the ride.

"He was definitely the number one choice. No doubt about it," Wallace said. "One of the hardest racetracks in the world is in Bristol, Tenn., and he's won there (four) times, so that's a nice feather in his cap.

Inside the Numbers
Kurt Busch in the Cup Series
Category Stat
Starts - 171
Wins - 13
Top-5s - 41
Top-10s - 72
Poles - 3
Avg. Start - 18.4
Avg. Finish - 17.5

"Roger had several people talking to him. Everybody asked me who would drive the 2 car, but I did not know who would drive the 2 car. That's a true statement. Roger didn't talk, just worked the deal out. I wasn't privy at all with any of the negotiating.

"All I know is that Kurt was being considered. Kurt said 'The 2 car is one of the most well-known cars in the world as far as NASCAR, and I think it's a real coveted ride and I'd be overjoyed to be able to drive it.' When he said it to me that way it made me feel good, so I said 'Yeah man, I'm fine with it."

Wallace isn't fine, however, with the growing trend of seat swapping.

"I'm real surprised about all this," Wallace said. "I don't like what the sport's doing when it comes to that. A lot of guys think the grass is greener. A lot of times you just have to go out and find out for yourself.

"These guys, they're just not content. Penske obviously needed somebody to take over for me. But all these drivers have got themselves in situations where they can't get out right now.

"They have to buy themselves out of contracts or wait a year or something like that. That's the problem right now. I'm just not much of a guy ... If I made a commitment to a man to drive his car, a deal's a deal, you've got to stick to it."

Wallace used past experience as an example. In the late 80's, he explained, he was driving Raymond Beadle's No. 27 Cup Series car when Junior Johnson approached with a sterling offer: drive my car and become part-owner.

Wallace wanted out. But when he informed Beadle of his intentions, Beadle explained that he'd secured several business deals contingent on Wallace being his driver. Wallace understood and honored the contract.

And it just so happens he won the championship that year.

"I guess the total surprise of this whole damn deal, and it's something I'll never get over, I didn't come into NASCAR until I was 28 years old," Wallace said.

"Now you've got all these young kids that are 22-to-26 saying 'I want this,' and 'I demand that,' and 'I've got to have that.' That just chaps my ***, still. But that's life."

So if Roush doesn't release Busch from the final year of his contract, will he be a lame duck driver? And what about Jamie McMurray at Ganassi?

"To me this deal goes year by year," Wallace said. "Even though people are saying McMurray doesn't want to be (at Ganassi), racers are racers, and when a racer gets in the car he's not going to be in the mood to get his *** kicked.

"He's gonna drive his *** off and he wants to win, alright? So I'd personally make him stay, because I think he's a really good driver and I want that sucker in my seat. I want him to stay there."

OK, what about sponsors? Will they be willing to invest piles of money in drivers they know won't be there the following season?

"Now sponsors are going to look at it different," Wallace said. "They're looking at it really long-term, and looking at things drivers don't think about. So all I know is the driver is going to give it his all no matter what, no matter how pissed off he is.

"I don't think any driver's just going to throw a race just because he doesn't want to be there. That's just not going to happen.

"Kurt's going to be a good driver. He's definitely got the talent. I just hope he respects the ride. It's a helluva ride."

Old 08-13-2005, 02:54 PM
40intrepid
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rusty: Busch's decision not about money

Or is it about Toyota?!?
A rumor is going around a Sterling Marlin Forum (SilverbulletCentral) that Busch joined Penske because Roger is jumping to Toyota by '07.

He figures the Japanese auto maker will throw so much money at Penske, he cant lose.

Can anybody confirm or deny that Penske is going over to Japs?![:@]

Old 08-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rusty: Busch's decision not about money

That better not happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusty: Busch's decision not about money