Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Norwalk Chrysler Classics Weekend... Drag Racing The R/T...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 12:42 AM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Norwalk Chrysler Classics Weekend... Drag Racing The R/T...

yea i wanna kno wut they ram runs

Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 AM
moparmanjames
Veteran

Nice Job Amanda, don't feel bummed about the redlight, if you don't redlight now and then your not trying hard enough!
I got so bad with redlighting that my buddies Dad had an old Railroad red signal light in the garage and he would turn it on when I'd go over to pound beers with them LOL!
That tranny will be fixed in no-time and you both will be out there terrorizing the track!

Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
JDM

I was at Norwalk this weekend. I got one of your fliers on my windshield.
That rain sucked, huh?

I saw you run your stratus in the sportsman eliminations on sunday. Question for you -- why the big smokey burnout? If you're running 16's you aren't getting any benefit out of it -- the burnout is basically just putting un-needed stress on your driveline and destroying your brakes and tires. The stratus driveline is not made to take that kind of abuse -- it won't take too many of those smokey burnouts before you're replacing the diff or transmission.

Anyone going to the Indy Chrysler Classic?

Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as slow as it is, it does have some traction issues when it launches. i know quite a few guys with RT coupes who are running stock dif. with forced induction, and they dont have any issues, and running high 13s, they do have to heat them up..

also, it doesnt do any real damage to the braking system, and the tires are track tires..i dont do that with my good tires...ive been racing the car off and on, both on the drag strip and autoX course since a few days after i got it...and ive not had any problems..*knock on wood*..anyway, i know people at dealerships and i have the 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty...

welcome to the forum! what were you driving JDM?

Old 09-20-2005, 06:55 PM
JDM

traction problems? Really? I demo'd a stratus RT in '02 for about a month (worked at a dodge dealership) and that thing wouldn't break the stock tires loose on the street much less DR's on the drag strip. I ran it once at the strip -- ran somewhere in the low 16's if I remember correctly.
And unless you have a line lock, it tears the $hit out of your front pads doing burnouts like that.

I was there with my '68 440 Dart.

I saw you blow your tranny at the line too -- that's a bummer. What motor/tranny is in your Mirada?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

i pull the ebrake for burnouts, so the front brakes arent affected...it never had traction issues, and could never do much of a burnout until the solid mounts went in (the stock mounts literally fell apart after about 50k)..on her second time trial run, her 60' time was like 2.60 because it was spinning the tires..after that., i had her heat them up. those tires arent DRs, theyre just smaller diameter tires, in an effort to bump the gearing up a bit, and to avoid tearing up the "good tires"...if i launch hard on the street, just from idle, it spins the tires. after that big burnout, they didnt seem to want to smoke, so perhaps it shaved all of the old rubber off with that one good smokey burnout, and if nothing else, it made for a good picture. i also worked for dodge, and belonged to some stratus pages, and i have heard endless horror stories about the RT coupes..i guess that i have gotten lucky...i do have the phantom RT suspension noise, but i dont care about that...the broken mounts were a pain, but the solid mounts werent much more than the stock units, and theyre much nicer.lots of people had issues with broken tilt steering...broken sunroof;...so forth...im still on stock rotors all around, and stock pads in the rear! but i have done my best to take care of the car when not on the track...for the first 40 thouand miles, i changed the oil every thousand (worked at a shop and got free oil and filters), and now i run synthetic and change it every 3k...anytime i hear a "bad" sound from the underside of the car, i check it out...how we run it at the track is not indicative of how it gets treated on the street, for the most part...also, it has never seen winter roads.

the mirada has a 69 340, 30 over, running low compression..the tranny is a 727, fairly built...you cant imagine how pissed off i was...[:@]

what does your dart run?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
JDM

Still working some bugs out -- best time this weekend was 10.65

Old 09-20-2005, 11:00 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

holy crap...what class were you in??

Old 09-21-2005, 03:09 AM
JDM

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

holy crap...what class were you in??
PRO.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

right on...how did you do?

Quick Reply: Norwalk Chrysler Classics Weekend... Drag Racing The R/T...