Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Official: Bill Davis Racing signs Waltrip, NAPA for 2006

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Boulee
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official: Bill Davis Racing signs Waltrip, NAPA for 2006

ORIGINAL: nascar.com

Bill Davis Racing signs Waltrip, NAPA for 2006
Team Release
September 23, 2005
01:17 PM EDT (17:17 GMT)

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- Michael Waltrip and NAPA on Friday announced they have entered into a partnership with Bill Davis Racing for the 2006 Nextel Cup Series season.

Nine victories and eight poles are shared between the parties including three Daytona 500 wins and a Southern 500 victory. Bill Davis Racing's achievements lured Waltrip to its High Point, N.C., race shop.

"I like the way Bill does business and he has created a strong organization," Waltrip explained. "NAPA and I look forward to continuing our winning ways at Bill Davis Racing on the track, as well as extending our successful marketing efforts off the track."

Waltrip and NAPA were brought together by Dale Earnhardt in 2001. Waltrip's first race with NAPA as sponsor ended in Victory Lane in the Daytona 500. Since then, Waltrip and NAPA taken advantage of their union to create one of the strongest partnerships in the sport.

"Teaming with Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Dale [Earnhardt] Jr. for the past five years has been the highlight of my NASCAR Nextel Cup career to date," Waltrip said. "I look toward my future with NAPA and BDR with gratitude to DEI for the memories and friendships I have formed."

In 141 races with DEI, Waltrip has four wins, 20 top-five finishes and 40 top 10s. He won his third career pole June 12 at Pocono -- his first since June 23, 1991, at Michigan.

"It is no secret that our association with Michael has been a key ingredient of our marketing efforts," said Bob Susor, president of NAPA. "Race fans associate NAPA Auto Parts with Michael Waltrip and vice versa. Michael has promoted our brand in his own unique style.

"Moving forward, we are pleased to announce our continued support of Michael Waltrip and a new partnership with Bill Davis Racing. This begins a new chapter in NASCAR team sponsorship for NAPA.

"We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation for the many successes NAPA has enjoyed during our tenure with DEI such as two NASCAR Truck Series Championships and two Daytona 500 victories," Susor said. "We will value our DEI association and wish them nothing but the best in their future efforts."

Next year will be Bill Davis Racing's 14th year of competition on the Cup Series level, the team's 19th year in NASCAR competition. As a team owner, Davis has worked with some of the sport's top drivers achieving wins in all three premier divisions of NASCAR, totaling 18 victories, 100 top-five finishes and 250 top-10s.

BDR has five Cup Series wins, all by Ward Burton, including the 2002 Daytona 500. He also won the '01 Southern 500 at Darlington.

Davis currently fields one full-time Cup team with Scott Wimmer driving the No. 22 Dodge. Mike Skinner has made five starts this season in the No. 23 Dodge.

In 2004, Davis expanded his operations to house three full-time Toyota-back teams in the Craftsman Truck Series. The teams' drivers are Skinner, Bill Lester and Johnny Benson.

"NAPA and Michael Waltrip are the perfect combination to re-establish our two-car Cup team in 2006," Davis said.

"NAPA and Michael are held in high regard in our sport and have been successful in each series they have competed. We plan to build on their success and create a very competitive team next year and beyond."

Find this article at:
http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/head...bdr/index.html

Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 PM
chrysler/dodge dude
Captain
Default RE: Official: Bill Davis Racing signs Waltrip, NAPA for 2006

I was reading about that on jayski.com earlier today. I guess this means Michael will be driving a Dodge next year, and then a Toyota the following year.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:26 AM
MGDMike
Champion

We'll see how it goes.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned

He told Theresa that if she doesn't mind or need it, he wants to take the #15 with him. That would be awsome. That way the hat I have would still be right. I still plan on being a fan of his even though he's leaving DEI. (Go Jr and Truex!) He'll be my favorite Dodge driver. Even if it is for just a season or so until Toyota comes to cup[:'(] I still don't like the thought of that.

Quick Reply: Official: Bill Davis Racing signs Waltrip, NAPA for 2006