Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Kurt Busch charged with reckless driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kurt Busch charged with reckless driving

Kurt Busch charged with reckless driving: NASCAR driver Kurt Busch was detained on suspicion of drunken driving and cited for reckless driving after a confrontation with police near the track where the NASCAR champion is to race Sunday. Busch was stopped Friday night after trying to avoid another car and running a stop sign about 2 miles from Phoenix International Raceway, said Lt. Paul Chagolla "As a result of the roadside investigation the deputy did take Mr. Busch into custody for suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol," said Lt. Chagolla. Chagolla said the deputy smelled alcohol on Busch, but the driver refused to perform standard field sobriety tests. Busch did submit to a field breath alcohol test, and the device showed the presence of alcohol. The deputy drove Busch to the raceway, where a sheriff's facility is located, to administer another breath test but the machine there failed. The deputy then decided to cite Busch for reckless driving and he was released, Chagolla said. Busch was spotted driving about 60 mph in a 45 mph zone, Chagolla said. A deputy tried to pull Busch over but there was some delay, Chagolla said. When he did stop, Busch was argumentative and uncooperative, Chagolla said. The deputy then called for a supervisor.

Busch, the reigning Nextel Cup champion, is in Phoenix to race in Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500. Busch, eighth in points for the season, qualified 17th for the race. His team did not immediately respond to a request for comment. NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said: "It's a traffic ticket as far as we know."(ESPN.com/AP)

AND Defending NASCAR Nextel Cup champion Kurt Busch was issued a criminal traffic citation for reckless driving Friday night by a Maricopa County Sheriff's Department deputy. The stop occurred at 8:20 p.m. near El Mirage Road and Broadway. A spokesman for the Sheriff's Office said that the officer on the scene deteteced an “odor of alcohol,” and tried to admininster a standard field sobriety test but Busch refused to take it. He was then taken into custody under suspicion of driving under the influence. At PIR, the spokesman said, the breath-alcohol machine malfuntioned. Busch, who will drive in Sunday's Checker Auto Parts 500 at PIR, was ordered to appear in Tolleson Justice Court on Dec. 22. Jim Hunter, NASCAR's vice president of corporate communications, said, the organization has “conversations with our drivers about conduct, yes.”(Arizona Republic)(11-12-2005)

Old 11-13-2005, 05:37 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kurt Busch charged with reckless driving

For starters, I hope they suspend him for the remainder of the chase. Two, I hope he is severely punished. I have a big issue with drunk drivers. I've driven home a few times when I have drank, but I have always known my limit and taken cabs home when anything more then 2 drinks was more then I could handle.

I have no beef against Busch, he's a talented driver. My problem is that he doesnt need a license to race in Nascar...so he should be booted from the Chase. Not only would this force people to pay attention, but at the same token would punish him on the grounds that he should have been more responsible in driving an automobile.

Old 11-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He has been suspended by Roush Racing for the final two races. Kenny Wallace will replace him.

Kenny Wallace will drive the #97 Irwin Tools Ford at Phoenix, as he reported himself on Speed Channel's NASCAR This Morning. Roush Racing and NASCAR will be making an announcement soon.
UPDATE: Roush Racing's Geoff Smith said on Speed Channel's NASCAR This Morning that Busch has been suspended from Roush Racing for the final two races at Phoenix and Homestead, Kenny Wallace is in the car at Phoenix, no word on who will drive the car at Homestead.(11-13-2005)

Kurt Busch Statement: regard his reckless driving citation:
"I regret the incident that occurred near the Phoenix International Raceway Friday evening where I received a traffic citation. It is important to understand that this citation is not alcohol related. I want to apologize to the Maricopa County Sheriff's department for my actions." (Kurt Busch Inc)(11-13-2005)

Old 11-13-2005, 05:04 PM
MGDMike
Champion

He's now been suspended for the remainder of the season!! Serves him right!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar

Old 11-15-2005, 06:17 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

.....another famous American "hero" setting a bad example for our youth. Too bad they couldn't make the DWI charges stick.

Dusty

Quick Reply: Kurt Busch charged with reckless driving