Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Strike Three for Hmiel, Banned for Life

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 09:11 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strike Three for Hmiel, Banned for Life

Strike Three for Hmiel - Banned for Life: NASCAR officials confirmed Friday that former NASCAR Busch and Craftsman Truck Series driver Shane Hmiel failed a third drug test and has been banned from NASCAR for life. Hmiel failed two prior tests in 2003 and ’05, and NASCAR officials said Friday that he failed a third within the past week, prompting his banishment.(Speed Channel)

Driver Shane Hmiel has been suspended from competition for life by NASCAR after failing a third substance abuse test. "Shane failed to fulfill the prescribed rehabilitation program scheduled by NASCAR," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Friday. "As a result, Shane has forfeited his opportunity to compete in any NASCAR-sanctioned events." Asked if there is any possibility of Hmiel racing in NASCAR sometime in the future, he said, "No, it is a lifetime ban." Hmiel, the 26-year-old son of longtime crew chief and team official Steve Hmiel, was first suspended in September 2003 after failing a test. He completed a required rehabilitation program and was reinstated for NASCAR competition in February 2004. But he was suspended again last June after failing a second substance abuse test. NASCAR had laid out a road map for Hmiel's possible reinstatement in 2007 that included medical and psychological reviews and frequent testing. NASCAR said Hmiel failed one of those tests. NASCAR's Substance Abuse Policy, based on "reasonable suspicion," allows the sanctioning organization to broadly administer tests virtually anytime, anywhere.(ESPN.com/AP)(2-24-2006)

Old 02-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Daksport1pa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strike Three for Hmiel, Banned for Life

I was a fan of Shane. That sucks but he did it to himself. What a promising career just thrown away. I don't know how someone could do something so stupid. He got what he deserved.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:01 PM
MGDMike
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strike Three for Hmiel, Banned for Life

I can't say I was a fan of his but he had a little talent with a ton of room for growth... oh well, he made is bed.

Quick Reply: Strike Three for Hmiel, Banned for Life