Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

Tony Stewart in the Indy 500!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:27 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tony Stewart in the Indy 500!

Tony Stewart is at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, it was mentioned that Stewart passed a physical to run the Indy 500 on May 30th. At first when the camera's spied Stewart in the garage area, they were shown the door, but later Stewart was interviewed and was evasive and had a huge grin on his face. Stewart took a AJ Foyt #14 IRL car and said he felt comfortable, the reporter tried to lock down a yes / or no from Stewart, who said "I'm here aren't I?" with a big grin. Even mentioned his people were talking to Foyt about a contract, hard to read how serious this may be, PLUS, it is raining at the Speedway and it doesn't look good for any other attempts before the end of Bump Day today. Of course the IRL broadcast team was speculating on what kind of message it sends to drivers warring with Stewart and the Fox broadcast team.
AND NASCAR star Tony Stewart, a former IRL champion, made an unexpected appearance at the track Sunday, passing a physical and chatting with team owner A.J. Foyt in his garage. That fueled speculation that Stewart might try to qualify one of Foyt's backup cars if the track dried in time. Foyt already has son Larry and grandson A.J. IV safely in the lineup. If he was successful in bumping his way into the lineup, Stewart would join fellow NASCAR Nextel Cup driver Robby Gordon in doing a difficult double next Sunday, racing in both the 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 in Concord, N.C. Gordon qualified 18th on the opening day of time trials.(CNNSI/AP)
UPDATE: it was mentioned and shown on ABC's Indy 500 time trials TV coverage that if the track dries, and it looks good now, Stewart will take the #14T car out to practice, his name is already on the car. HOWEVER, it wass mentioned that Foyt Racing has not submiited the paperwork to make the driver change in the car....yet [as of 5:20pm/et](5-23-2004)

jayski.com

redriderbob

Old 05-23-2004, 10:53 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: Tony Stewart in the Indy 500!

Yeah, I spent the whole evening watching this pan out on TV....I figured when they put the decal on the car, that it was a done deal.....WRONG! Darn!!![:@]

Old 05-30-2004, 02:06 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Default RE: Tony Stewart in the Indy 500!

Tony Stewart has more talent in his little finger than 95% of the nascar drivers have in their whole body, D W included. It was ok when Dale Earnhardt Sr. bumped others out of the way or when Jeffie the favored child of nascar does it. While on the subject, Larry Mc. sounds like a babbling idiot and D W ain't far behind. Just my opinion. Leave Tony alone.

Quick Reply: Tony Stewart in the Indy 500!