Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

3rd Joe Gibbs Team for 2005!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 08:17 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Joe Gibbs Team for 2005!!!

FedEx said Wednesday it has signed a letter of intent to sponsor Joe Gibbs Racing's third car starting in 2005. A driver hasn't been chosen for the #11 FedEx Chevrolet. No financial terms were announced, although UPS's sponsorship of the #88 Ford driven by Dale Jarrett - one of the sport's marquee drivers - reportedly is worth as much as $16 million a year. FedEx confirmed only that it has signed a letter of intent. Gibbs Racing said it expects a contract to be signed within a month. FedEx and Gibbs Racing have been in talks for about 18 months. It hasn't been decided if FedEx will have associated sponsorships with other Gibbs drivers, Bobby Labonte and Tony Stewart. One of the candidates to drive the new FedEx-sponsored Chevy is Busch Series rookie J. J. Yeley. Yeley, a Gibbs driver, has one top 10 finish in nine starts and sits 29th in the Busch standings. "What we're going to do is build a list (of potential drivers) based on what kind of potential they have and what kind of equipment they're running already," said Dean Noble, vice president of business affairs for Gibbs Racing. "After interviews we'd narrow the list to a couple of guys who would meet with FedEx. It's truly a partnership putting this team together." FedEx's entry into the sport could help the Memphis Motorsports Park, said vice president and general manager Jason Rittenberry. The track has NASCAR Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series events and covets a place in NASCAR's premier Nextel Cup Series.

redriderbob

Old 06-19-2004, 08:18 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: 3rd Joe Gibbs Team for 2005!!!

Note: Greg Biffle, driver of the #16 National Guard/Subway Ford for Roush Racing is the most likely driver to be in this car!

redriderbob

Old 06-23-2004, 03:58 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Default RE: 3rd Joe Gibbs Team for 2005!!!

More on Biffle to Gibbs: Rumor — Greg Biffle will driver Joe Gibbs' FedEx Chevy in '05
Here's what we know —
1. Gibbs is definitely adding a third car next season.
2. FedEx is definitely on board.
3. Gibbs says he is looking for a veteran driver.
Here's what we think we know —
1. NBS ace J.J. Yeley is too young and too inexperienced to get the ride.
2. Longtime Roush Racing employee Biffle is the perfect age, a proven winner and becoming increasingly vocal about the fact that he isn't getting the same good stuff (i.e. engines and cars) that his four more famous teammates are.
Biffle is flat denying the rumors that he will jump to JGR, but don't believe it. Larry Mac is fond of saying "I talked to my people," and I [Ryan McGee] have talked to my own people at Gibbs. When Biffle's names come up, they just smile and say, "I don't know what you're talking about, man."(see more facts/rumors at FoxSports)(6-23-2004)

redriderbob

Quick Reply: 3rd Joe Gibbs Team for 2005!!!