Racing Talk Talk about any racing here, whether it be street/strip, NASCAR, F1 etc.

q about racing autos

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Minion
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default q about racing autos

i dont know if this is a dumb question but is it ok to shift from 1st to 2nd to drive in an automatic trans.

Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Thansen
Default RE: q about racing autos

I do it all the time in my 3 spd Lebaron. It's the drop shifts that really kill the tranny.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the case of a vehicle like amanda's ram, the computer has it shifting at the optimum shift point, so there is no point in shifting by hand..however, in my tired old shadow and lebaron, i shifted them by hand...it doesnt hurt anything, so long as you dont over rev the engine too badly..

Old 10-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Minion
Professional

i have a dakota and i like to shift it by hand in the rain to break the tires loose alot more because i have more power when im in first and second.

Old 10-18-2006, 11:56 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most automatic transmissions wont break the tires loose like a manual will, unless they are heavily modified, or something is wrong with them...

Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
stonecold

my auto breaks em loose pretty good from 1st to 2nd.... ahhh how i love superchips!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
motorider228
Champion

I don't do that because I have a friend with a mustang that was doing it and on his way from 2nd to drive he wasn't paying attention and missed drive and neutral.......hitting reverse at 40+ miles per hour has got to do some damage.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 PM
LAKOTA169
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knew a guy who was sitting at a light, when this sports car pulls up next to him and revs his engine. Figured he wanted to run, so he put it "L" for leap. Light turned green and he floored it. Other car was right beside him, so he put it in "D" for drag. About 80 mph the other car was still there, so he shoved it into "R" for race. He's still picking his teeth up off the dash. Actually I did something like that when I was a teen in my dad's '58 Plymouth. Was racing on Woodward and went to put it in DRIVE and pushed "R" instead (push button shift). All it did was go into Nuetral. Scared the hell out of me though. Thought I broke it. This was probably about 1960.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:11 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: LAKOTA169

Knew a guy who was sitting at a light, when this sports car pulls up next to him and revs his engine. Figured he wanted to run, so he put it "L" for leap. Light turned green and he floored it. Other car was right beside him, so he put it in "D" for drag. About 80 mph the other car was still there, so he shoved it into "R" for race. He's still picking his teeth up off the dash.
LOL! Nice!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
User
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When i do 20 or 40 mph punches, i useally drop to 2nd and then go to drive, sifting from 1st to 2nd though in my auto is pointless, in drive from a dead stop if i get a good launch i can scratch my 2nd and thats in an auto to me thats pretty cool. Although dodges power gear is 2nd so that makes since.

i also put it in 2nd when i do digs, cuz my 2nd gear is pretty strong. Off the launch with most cars is side by side, but as soon as 2nd pulls i take off.

Quick Reply: q about racing autos